Investment Opportunity Sets of Real Assets: An International Empirical Study Based on Ownership Types
AbstractThis paper is the first, to our knowledge, to make the distinction between the investment opportunity set of real assets versus portfolio securities. We perform a large scale formal investigation of the investment opportunity set in global acquisitions based on ownership type over the period of 1985 – 2012. Compared to private acquirers, government acquirers have a much reduced investment opportunity set. Government acquirers invest in fewer target nations and industries, settle for smaller stakes, invest in countries with lower quality legal institutions and in nations with which political relations are more positive and see a 50% higher deal failure rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 53359.
Date of creation: 02 Feb 2014
Date of revision:
International; Mergers and Acquisitions; Government ownership;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ron Alquist & Rahul Mukherjee & Linda Tesar, 2013.
"Fire-Sale FDI or Business as Usual?,"
13-17, Bank of Canada.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kotter, Jason & Lel, Ugur, 2011. "Friends or foes? Target selection decisions of sovereign wealth funds and their consequences," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 360-381, August.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
NBER Working Papers
11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- Dewenter, Kathryn L. & Han, Xi & Malatesta, Paul H., 2010. "Firm values and sovereign wealth fund investments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 256-278, November.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Firth, Michael & Xin, Yu & Xu, Liping, 2008. "Control Transfers, Privatization, and Corporate Performance: Efficiency Gains in China's Listed Companies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 161-190, March.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- G. Andrew Karolyi & Rose C. Liao, 2010. "What is Different about Government-Controlled Acquirers in Cross-Border Acquisitions?," Working Papers 2010.38, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sofia A Johan & April Knill & Nathan Mauck, 2013. "Determinants of sovereign wealth fund investment in private equity vs public equity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(2), pages 155-172, February.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo, 2003.
"Cross-Country Determinants of Mergers and Acquisitions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo F., 2004. "Cross-country determinants of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 277-304, November.
- Murali DR Chari & Kiyoung Chang, 2009. "Determinants of the share of equity sought in cross-border acquisitions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(8), pages 1277-1297, October.
- Pavel G. Savor & Qi Lu, 2009. "Do Stock Mergers Create Value for Acquirers?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(3), pages 1061-1097, 06.
- Paul H. Malatesta & Kathryn L. DeWenter, 2001. "State-Owned and Privately Owned Firms: An Empirical Analysis of Profitability, Leverage, and Labor Intensity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 320-334, March.
- G.U. Weitzel & S. Berns, 2006.
"Cross-border takeovers, corruption, and related aspects of governance,"
06-03, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Utz Weitzel & Sjors Berns, 2006. "Cross-border takeovers, corruption, and related aspects of governance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 786-806, November.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025, November.
- D'Souza, Juliet & Megginson, William & Nash, Robert, 2005. "Effect of institutional and firm-specific characteristics on post-privatization performance: Evidence from developed countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 747-766, October.
- Knill, April & Lee, Bong-Soo & Mauck, Nathan, 2012. "Bilateral political relations and sovereign wealth fund investment," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 108-123.
- Li, Donghui & Nguyen, Quang N. & Pham, Peter K. & Wei, Steven X., 2011. "Large Foreign Ownership and Firm-Level Stock Return Volatility in Emerging Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(04), pages 1127-1155, September.
- Knill, April M. & Lee, Bong Soo & Mauck, Nathan, 2012. "Sovereign wealth fund investment and the return-to-risk performance of target firms," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 315-340.
- Johan, S.A. & Knill, A.M. & Mauck, N., 2010. "Determinants of sovereign wealth fund investment in private equity," Discussion Paper 2010-044, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Quan Li & Tatiana Vashchilko, 2010. "Dyadic military conflict, security alliances, and bilateral FDI flows," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(5), pages 765-782, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.