How does profitability get affected by working capital management in food and beverages industry?
AbstractThis study examines the working capital management of the Food and Beverage Corporations from the U.S.A. and Canada during the 10 years study period from year 2000 to 2009. Firstly, unlike previous studies which advocate a linear relationship between the working capital management and profitability, it investigates the existence of a possible non-linear relationship. Secondly, the efficiency of working capital management was checked using performance index, utilization index and efficiency index rather than using the conventional turnover ratios. Thirdly, the distribution of working capital measure i.e. cash conversion cycle and factors affecting viz. leverage, growth, size, age, cash flow and fixed assets to total assets ratio has been studied. The results suggest the existence of concave relationship between the working capital management and profitability. The findings also revealed that the corporations were efficient during the study period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50926.
Date of creation: 28 Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Working capital management; profitability; food and beverage industry; optimal level of working capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M40 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-11-02 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-11-02 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2013-11-02 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jyrki Niskanen & Mervi Niskanen, 2006. "The Determinants of Corporate Trade Credit Policies in a Bank-dominated Financial Environment: the Case of Finnish Small Firms," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(1), pages 81-102.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Alan S. Blinder & Louis J. Maccini, 1990.
"The Resurgence of Inventory Research: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
3408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blinder, Alan S & Maccini, Louis J, 1991. " The Resurgence of Inventory Research: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 291-328.
- Pedro Juan García-Teruel & Pedro Martínez-Solano, 2007. "Effects of working capital management on SME profitability," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 164-177, April.
- Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1993. "Working Capital and Fixed Investment: New Evidence on Financing Constraints," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(3), pages 328-342, Autumn.
- Tong, Zhenxu, 2008. "Deviations from optimal CEO ownership and firm value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2462-2470, November.
- Wang, Yung-Jang, 2002. "Liquidity management, operating performance, and corporate value: evidence from Japan and Taiwan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 159-169, April.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Deloof, 2003. "Does Working Capital Management Affect Profitability of Belgian Firms?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3-4), pages 573-588.
- Emery, Gary W., 1987. "An Optimal Financial Response to Variable Demand," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 209-225, June.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.