The Small and Medium Enterprises and Poverty in Pakistan: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractSmall and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) are considered to play an important role in the economic growth, employment generation and poverty alleviation in the economy. The annual time series data is used for examination of impact of SMEs on poverty in Pakistan for the period of 1972-2008. The study utilizes Johansen cointegration and error correction mechanism to examine long run and short impacts small scale industries and other explanatory variable on poverty in Pakistan. The results of the study confirm a strong and poverty alleviating impact of small scale industries’ output in Pakistan. The study suggests the economic policy makers to focus on the establishment of formal financial markets to overcome the financial constraints faced by the SME sector in Pakistan. Simplification of lending procedures, enforcement of credit rights, and reduction in credit costs would be helpful for the establishment of robust SME sector in Pakistan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50506.
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision: Jul 2113
Publication status: Published in European Journal of Business and Economics 2.8(2013): pp. 25-30
Poverty; Small and Medium Enterprises; Income Inequality; Population Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2005.
"SMEs, Growth, and Poverty: Cross-Country Evidence,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 199-229, 09.
- Liedholm, Carl & Mead, Donald C., 1987. "Small Scale Industries in Developing Countries: Empirical Evidence and Policy Implications," Food Security International Development Papers 54062, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sarfraz Khan Qureshi & Ejaz Ghani, 1989. "Employment Generation in Rural Pakistan with a Special Focus on Rural Industrialization: A Preliminary Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 28(4), pages 587-602.
- World Bank, 2008. "World Development Indicators 2008," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11855, March.
- Durbin, J, 1970. "Testing for Serial Correlation in Least-Squares Regression When Some of the Regressors are Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 410-21, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Judith Jordan & Julian Lowe & Peter Taylor, 1998. "Strategy and Financial Policy in UK Small Firms," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1&2), pages 1-27.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1993. "Poverty and Economic Growth with Application to Cote d'Ivoire," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(2), pages 121-39, June.
- Eliana Cardoso, 1992. "Inflation and Poverty," NBER Working Papers 4006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.