Quality and health care performance in the Italian regions
AbstractThis paper estimates the total factor productivity of the Italian health care sector using a modified bootstrapped Malmquist Index including the quality of the production process provided to the population. Decomposing the productivity process in three different components (efficiency change, technological change and quality change) we can detemine if the increasing/decreasing health care productivity of the 20 Italian regions is strictly related to any of the changes during 1999-2008. The results highlights also significant difference in the terms of North-South divide.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50495.
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Malmquist; quality; DEA; health care; regional differences; Italy.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-10-18 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2013-10-18 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Pica, Federico & Villani, Salvatore, 2010.
"Questioni concernenti la nozione di costo standard: la mobilità dei pazienti e le mode sanitarie
[Issues regarding the standard cost notion: patients’ interregional mobility and «health fashion," MPRA Paper 29659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rosella Levaggi & Roberto Zanola, 2004. "Patients' migration across regions: the case of Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(16), pages 1751-1757.
- Hervé Leleu & James Moises & Vivian Valdmanis, 2011.
"Optimal productive size of hospital’s intensive care units,"
2011-ECO-01, IESEG School of Management.
- Leleu, Hervé & Moises, James & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2012. "Optimal productive size of hospital's intensive care units," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 297-305.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1996.
"Estimating and bootstrapping malmquist indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Margaritis, Dimitri & Valdmanis, Vivian, 2004. "Competitive effects on teaching hospitals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 515-525, April.
- Anatoly I. Pilyavsky & William E. Aaronson & Patrick M. Bernet & Michael D. Rosko & Vivian G. Valdmanis & Mikhail V. Golubchikov, 2006. "East-west: does it make a difference to hospital efficiencies in Ukraine?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(11), pages 1173-1186.
- Maffezzoli Marco, 2006.
"Convergence Across Italian Regions and the Role of Technological Catch-Up,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-43, August.
- Marco Maffezzoli, 2004. "Convergence Across Italian Regions and the Role of Technological Catch-Up," Working Papers 274, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.