Estimating Quarterly Gross Fixed Capital Formation
AbstractIn Pakistan, only annual estimates of national accounts are available officially. Although quarterly real gross domestic product has been estimated by some studies like Kemal & Arby (2004) and Bengaliwala (1995), no attempt has been made so far to estimate quarterly gross fixed capital formation – a key macroeconomic variable. This study presents a methodology to quarterise gross fixed investment in Pakistan and estimates a quarterly series for the period 1971Q3 to 2006Q2. Using the commodity flow approach, total gross fixed investment has been disaggregated into four components, i.e. machinery and equipment, furniture and fixture, structure and land improvement for annual data of selected years and then each component is quarterised on the basis of related indicators for which quarterly data is available officially.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4956.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
gross fixed capital formation; investment; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data; Data Access
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2007-09-24 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MAC-2007-09-24 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Lean, Hooi Hooi, 2011. "The Dynamics of Electricity Consumption and Economic Growth:A Revisit Study of Their Causality in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 33196, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 06 Sep 2011.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Farhani, Sahbi & Rahman, Mohammad Mafizur, 2013. "Natural Gas Consumption and Economic Growth Nexus: The Role of Exports, Capital and Labor in France," MPRA Paper 50619, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Oct 2013.
- Hanif, Nadim & Iqbal, Javed & Malik, Jehanzeb, 2013. "Quarterisation of national income accounts of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 45334, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashid, Abdul & Jehan, Zanaib, 2013. "Derivation of Quarterly GDP, Investment Spending, and Government Expenditure Figures from Annual Data: The Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 46937, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & V G R, Chandran & Pervaiz, Azeem, 2011. "Natural gas consumption and economic growth: cointegration, causality and forecast error variance decomposition tests for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 35103, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Nov 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.