Seigniorage Earnings of Commercial Banks and State Bank of Pakistan
AbstractThe paper reviews the trend of seigniorage earnings by State Bank of Pakistan and commercial banks. It is found that seigniorage revenue of the SBP has declined overtime which indicates autonomy of the central bank as well as less reliance of the government on SBP’s resources for budget financing. In general, a direct relationship has been observed between seigniorage and inflation in Pakistan. However, at the two extremes of very high or very low inflation an inverse relation is detected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4955.
Date of creation: Apr 2006
Date of revision:
seigniorage; Inflation Tax; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Eckstein & Leonardo Leiderman, 1991.
"Seigniorage and the welfare cost of inflation: evidence from an intertemporal model of money and consumption,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
40, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Eckstein, Zvi & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1992. "Seigniorage and the welfare cost of inflation: Evidence from an intertemporal model of money and consumption," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 389-410, June.
- Eckstein, Z. & Leiderman, L., 1991. "Seignorage and the Welfare Cost of Inflation; Evidence from an Intertemporal Model of Money and Consumption," Papers 7-91, Tel Aviv.
- Brennan, Geoffrey & Buchanan, James, 1981. "Revenue Implications of Money Creation under Leviathan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 347-51, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.