The controversial link between exchange rate volatility and exports: Evidence from Tunisian case
AbstractThis paper tries to revisit the interaction between exchange uncertainty and exports in the Tunisian case. By using various GARCH extensions (i.e. Standard GARCH, Integrated GARCH, Exponential GARCH and Weighted GARCH) we show that the effect of exchange returns on changes in exports depends on time varying between low and high volatility in real terms (i.e. either structural breaks or shifts) and leverage effect (i.e. either good or bad news) in nominal terms. Our results also reveal that all considered links either in nominal or real terms are highly persistent, which means a great tendency to long memory process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 49133.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision: Mar 2013
Exchange rate; exports; volatility; GARCH specifications.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Selmi, Refk & Bouoiyour, Jamal & Ayachi, Fethi, 2012. "Another Look at the Interaction Between Oil Price Uncertainty and Exchange Rate Volatility: The Case of Small Open Economies," MPRA Paper 49144, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2012.
- Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1994. "Threshold heteroskedastic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 931-955, September.
- BAUWENS, Luc & STORTI, Giuseppe, 2007.
"A component GARCH model with time varying weights,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & STORTI, Giuseppe, . "A component GARCH model with time varying weights," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2125, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc, BAUWENS & G., STORTI, 2007. "A Component GARCH Model with Time Varying Weights," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007012, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Giuseppe Storti & Luc Bauwens, 2006. "A component GARCH model with time varying weights," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 388, Society for Computational Economics.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema & Prasad, Arti, 2008. "Understanding the oil price-exchange rate nexus for the Fiji islands," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2686-2696, September.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- Serge Rey, 2006. "Effective Exchange Rate Volatility And Mena Countries Exports To The Eu," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 23-54, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.