India’s Development Experience - A Regional Analysis: An essay in honour of Prof. Ashok Mathur
AbstractWide regional variation has been a major characteristic of development experience in India. In the present study, the multidimensional facet of development is sought to be reflected through composite indices of development. It deals with the development trends exhibited at the National as well as Regional level during the period 1971-1995 with special focus on regional disparity in development levels. Considerable variation in the levels of development - both across states and also within each state is perceived. The disparity seems to be widening over time, specially in the post-reform period. Providing adequate infrastructural facilities, shift from Central Planning to Multilevel Planning, and breaking the myth of trade-off between growth and equity are some of the emerging policy suggestions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4818.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision: 2004
Regional Disparity; Development; Planning; India; Infrastructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathur, Ashok, 1983. "Regional Development and Income Disparities in India: A Sectoral Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(3), pages 475-505, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.