Human Development in India: Regional Pattern and Policy Issues
AbstractDevelopment literature in the past decade has become more people centric with human development being projected as one of the 'ends' of development planning. The present paper tries to explore the trends, patterns and regional dimension of human development (HD) in India through construction of alternate HD indices for the districts of India. The association between HD indices and conventional measures like per capita income has been explored. Substantial inter-regional disparity in HD is observed. Probable reasons for such disparity have been inquired. Suggested policies to enhance HD include greater role of the State in provisioning of social infrastructure, especially to the hitherto marginalized groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4821.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Human Development; Social Sector; Education; Health; Regional Disparity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathur, Ashok, 1983. "Regional Development and Income Disparities in India: A Sectoral Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(3), pages 475-505, April.
- Majumder, Rajarshi, 2003. "Infrastructural Facilities in India: District Level Availability Index," MPRA Paper 4779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aloysius Gunadi, Brata, 2008. "Creating New Regions, Improving Regional Welfare Equality?," MPRA Paper 12540, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.