Caracterização dos tarifários de abastecimento de água e saneamento em Portugal
[Portuguese Water Supply and Sewage Tariffs Report]
AbstractThe tariffs applied in the Portuguese water industry are very complex, making their analysis difficult and hampering the objective of efficiency, acknowledged as an important tool in water management by Portuguese and European legislation. In this article we present the main criteria to be taken into account when choosing a tariff scheme, emphasising those which regard economic efficiency and financial stability of water utilities. We then analyse the existing Portuguese water supply and wastewater drainage and treatment tariffs based on the information provided by the National Inventory of Water Supply and Wastewater Systems and compare the results obtained with the aforementioned objectives, stressing the distance between them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4238.
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Water supply; Wastewater drainage and treatment; Tariffs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monteiro, Henrique, 2007.
"Recuperação de custos no sector de abastecimento de água e drenagem e tratamento de águas residuais em Portugal
[Cost recovery in the Portuguese water supply and wastewater drainage and treatme," MPRA Paper 4237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ronald C. Griffin, 2006. "Water Resource Economics: The Analysis of Scarcity, Policies, and Projects," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026207267x, December.
- Henrique Monteiro, 2005. "Water Pricing Models: a survey," Others, EconWPA 0510002, EconWPA.
- Roseta-Palma, Catarina & Monteiro, Henrique, 2008. "Pricing for Scarcity," MPRA Paper 10384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henrique Monteiro, 2010. "Residential Water Demand in Portugal: checking for efficiency-based justifications for increasing block tariffs," Working Papers Series 1, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL) ercwp0110, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.