Recuperação de custos no sector de abastecimento de água e drenagem e tratamento de águas residuais em Portugal
[Cost recovery in the Portuguese water supply and wastewater drainage and treatment industry]
AbstractIn this article we investigate to what extent the revenues in the mainland Portuguese water supply and wastewater drainage and treatment industry cover the operation and investment costs. The results are analysed by types of systems (retail and bulk water) and by types of water utilities. While in water supply systems we find cost recovery levels which can be regarded as satisfactory, the situation regarding sewage is clearly unsustainable, indicating the presence of cross-subsidization. The coastal urban regions show greater cost recovery ratios than the inland country, especially regarding the Northeast region where the costs are higher and revenues are lower. We find no evidence of an association between the type of water utility and its cost recovery level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4237.
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Water supply and wastewater drainage and treatment industry; Cost recovery;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David J. Evans & Haluk Sezer, 2005. "Social discount rates for member countries of the European Union," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 47-59, January.
- Monteiro, Henrique, 2008. "Evolution of cost recovery levels in the Portuguese water supply and wastewater industry 1998-2005," MPRA Paper 11490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Monteiro, Henrique & Roseta-Palma, Catarina, 2007.
"Caracterização dos tarifários de abastecimento de água e saneamento em Portugal
[Portuguese Water Supply and Sewage Tariffs Report]," MPRA Paper 4238, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.