Existence of Equilibria in Discontinuous Games
AbstractThis paper investigates the existence of pure strategy, dominant strategy, and mixed strategy Nash equilibria in discontinuous games. We introduce a new notion of weak continuity, called weak transfer quasi-continuity, which is weaker than most known weak notions of continuity, including diagonal transfer continuity in Baye et al (1993) and better-reply security in Reny (1999), and holds in a large class of discontinuous games. We show that it, together with strong diagonal transfer quasiconcavity introduced in the paper, is enough to guarantee the existence of Nash equilibria in compact and convex normal form games. We provide sufficient conditions for weak transfer quasi-continuity by introducing notions of weak transfer continuity, weak transfer upper continuity, and weak transfer lower continuity. Moreover, an analogous analysis is applied to show the existence of dominant strategy and mixed strategy Nash equilibria in discontinuous games.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41206.
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision: Mar 2010
Discontinuous games; weak transfer quasi-continuity; pure strategy; mixed strategy; dominant strategy; Nash equilibrium; existence;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C70 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guilherme Carmona, 2004.
"On the Existence of Equilibria in Discontinuous Games: Three Counterexamples,"
Game Theory and Information
- Guilherme Carmona, 2005. "On the existence of equilibria in discontinuous games: three counterexamples," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 181-187, 06.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2003. "On the Existence of Equilibria in Discontinuous Games: Three Counterexamples," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp438, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Robson~ Arthur J., 1994.
"An Informationally Robust Equilibrium for Two-Person Nonzero-Sum Games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 233-245, September.
- Robson, A.J., 1990. "An "informationally robust equilibrium" for two-person nonzero-sum games," Discussion Paper 1990-39, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robson, A.J., 1990. "An "Informationally Robust Equilibrium" For Two-Person Nonzero-Sum Games," Papers 9039, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Adib Bagh & Alejandro Jofre, 2006. "Reciprocal Upper Semicontinuity and Better Reply Secure Games: A Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1715-1721, November.
- Simon, Leo K, 1987. "Games with Discontinuous Payoffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 569-97, October.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990.
"Nash equilibrium with strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321.
- Tian, Guoqiang, 1992. "On the Existence of Equilibria in Generalized Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 247-54.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger & Page Jr, Frank H., 2007. "Uniform payoff security and Nash equilibrium in compact games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 566-575, May.
- Andrew McLennan & Paulo K. Monteiro & Rabee Tourky, 2011. "Games With Discontinuous Payoffs: A Strengthening of Reny's Existence Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(5), pages 1643-1664, 09.
- Paul Rothstein, 2007. "Discontinuous Payoffs, Shared Resources, and Games of Fiscal Competition: Existence of Pure Strategy Nash Equilibrium," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 9(2), pages 335-368, 04.
- Morgan, Jacqueline & Scalzo, Vincenzo, 2007. "Pseudocontinuous functions and existence of Nash equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 174-183, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.