Outbound tourism from China: literature review and research agenda
AbstractThe rapid growth of China’s outbound tourism market has attracted a great deal of attention in recent years. However, the academic literature is still sparse in this area. Using a theoretical framework that synthesizes the key processes related to destination choice, the authors undertake a systematic review of the academic literature on outbound tourism from China. Stemming from this review, the paper provides some direction for future empirical research on this important topic. The authors also propose an episode model for travel planning, suggesting that traditional destination choice models may inadequately capture the nuances of destination choice in the Chinese context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40509.
Date of creation: 04 Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management 2.15(2008): pp. 32-41
China; outbound tourism; destination choice; research agenda;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luiz Moutinho & K.-H. Huarng & Tiffany Yu & C.-Y. Chen, 2008. "Modeling and forecasting tourism demand: the case of flows from Mainland China to Taiwan," Service Business, Springer, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 219-232, September.
- Eymann, Angelika & Ronning, Gerd, 1997. "Microeconometric models of tourists' destination choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 735-761, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.