Structural distortions in the Euro interbank market: the role of 'key players' during the recent market turmoil
AbstractWe study the frictions in the patterns of trades in the Euro money market. We characterize the structure of lending relations during the period of recent financial turmoil. We use network-topology method on data from overnight transactions in the Electronic Market for Interbank Deposits (e-Mid) to investigate on two main issues. First, we characterize the division of roles between borrowers and lenders in long-run relations by providing evidence on network formation at a yearly frequency. Second, we identify the 'key players' in the marketplace and study their behaviour. Key players are ‘locally-central banks’ within a network that lend (or borrow) large volumes to (from) several counterparties, while borrowing (or lending) small volumes from (to) a small number of institutions. Our results are twofold. We show that the aggregate trading patterns in e-Mid are characterized by largely asymmetric relations. This implies a clear division of roles between lenders and borrowers. Second, the key players do not exploit their position of network leaders by imposing opportunistic pricing policies. We find that only a fraction of the networks composed by big players are characterized by interest rates that are statistically different from the average market rate throughout the turmoil period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40223.
Date of creation: 16 Jul 2012
Date of revision:
market microstructure; network analysis; money markets; asset pricing;
Other versions of this item:
- Caterina Liberati & Massimiliano Marzo & Paolo Zagaglia & Paola Zappa, 2012. "Structural distortions in the Euro interbank market: The role of 'key players' during the recent market turmoil," Papers 1207.5269, arXiv.org.
- C. Liberati & M. Marzo & P. Zagaglia & P. Zappa, 2012. "Structural distortions in the Euro interbank market: The role of ‘key players’ during the recent market turmoil," Working Papers wp841, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Caterina Liberati & Massimiliano Marzo & Paolo Zagaglia & Paola Zappa, 2012. "Structural Distortions in the Euro Interbank Market: The Role of ‘Key Players’ during the Recent Market Turmoil," Working Paper Series 57_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-07-29 (Banking)
- NEP-MON-2012-07-29 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julien Idier & Stefano Nardelli, 2011. "Probability of informed trading on the euro overnight market rate," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 131-145, 04.
- Zagaglia, Paolo, 2010.
"Informed trading in the Euro money market for term lending,"
20415, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paolo Zagaglia, 2010. "Informed Trading in the Euro Money Market for Term Lending," Working Paper Series 02_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Florian Heider & Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen, 2009.
"Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk,"
Working Paper Series
1126, European Central Bank.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Morten L. Bech & Enghin Atalay, 2008.
"The topology of the federal funds market,"
Working Paper Series
986, European Central Bank.
- Bech, Morten L. & Atalay, Enghin, 2010. "The topology of the federal funds market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(22), pages 5223-5246.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- G. De Masi & G. Iori & G. Caldarelli, 2006.
"A fitness model for the Italian Interbank Money Market,"
- de Masi, G. & Iori, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2006. "A fitness model for the Italian interbank money market," Working Papers 06/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Ozsoylev, Han N. & Walden, Johan, 2011. "Asset pricing in large information networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2252-2280.
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005.
"A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market,"
05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008. "A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Ana Babus, 2006. "The Formation of Financial Networks," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-093/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Julien Idier & Stefano Nardelli, 2008. "Probability of informed trading on the euro overnight market rate - an update," Working Paper Series 987, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.