Jointly testing linearity and nonstationarity within threshold autoregressions
AbstractWe develop a test of the joint null hypothesis of linearity and nonstationarity within a threshold autoregressive process of order one with deterministic components. We derive the limiting distribution of a Wald type test statistic and subsequently investigate its local power and nite sample properties. We view our test as a useful diagnostic tool since a non rejection of our null hypothesis would remove the need to explore nonlinearities any further and support a linear autoregression with a unit root.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38845.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Threshold Autoregressive Models; Unit Roots; Near Unit Roots; Brownian Bridge; Augmented Dickey Fuller Test;
Other versions of this item:
- Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 2012. "Jointly testing linearity and nonstationarity within threshold autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 411-413.
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-05-22 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-05-22 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bruce E. Hansen & Mehmet Caner, 1997.
"Threshold Autoregressions with a Unit Root,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
381, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2008. "Comment on: Threshold Autoregressions With a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(5), pages 1207-1217, 09.
- Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 2011. "Joint Detection of Structural Change and Nonstationarity in Autoregressions," MPRA Paper 29189, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.