L’impact du conseil d’administration sur la performance financière des entreprises Tunisiennes
[The impact of the Board of directors on the financial performance of Tunisian companies]
AbstractThe Board of Directors plays a key role as a mechanism of internal corporate governance. Indeed, its effectiveness is dependent on the presence of several factors, the most important are related to characteristics that relate primarily to the independence of its members, board size, combining the functions of decision and control and the degree of independence of the audit committee and gender diversity of the board. To test the validity of our hypothesis, which states the existence of a deterministic characteristic of the board on financial performance measured by three different ratios, namely ROA, ROE and Tobin's Q, we have developed three linear regression models. Our empirical validation was conducted on a sample of 26 companies listed on the Tunisian stock exchange Tunis (Tunis Stock Exchange) over a period that spans four years (2007- 2010). The estimated models show satisfactory results showing the importance of the impact of board characteristics on financial performance of Tunisian companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38672.
Date of creation: 04 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Board of Directors - financial performance -board size-the accumulation of functions-diversity of the board;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Godard, 2000. "La taille du conseil d'administration:déterminants et impact sur la performance," Working Papers FARGO 1010702, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance), revised Jul 2001.
- Brickley, James A. & Coles, Jeffrey L. & Jarrell, Gregg, 1997. "Leadership structure: Separating the CEO and Chairman of the Board," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 189-220, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Geoffrey C. Kiel & Gavin J. Nicholson, 2003. "Board Composition and Corporate Performance: how the Australian experience informs contrasting theories of corporate governance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 189-205, 07.
- Hervé Alexandre & Mathieu Paquerot, 2000.
"Efficacité des structures de contrôle et enracinement des dirigeants,"
Working Papers FARGO
1000601, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Hervé Alexandre & Mathieu Paquerot, 2000. "Efficacité des structures de contrôle et enracinement des dirigeants," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 3(2), pages 5-29, June.
- Coles, Jeffrey L. & Daniel, Naveen D. & Naveen, Lalitha, 2008. "Boards: Does one size fit all," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 329-356, February.
- Laurence Godard & Alain Schatt, 2004.
"Caractéristiques et fonctionnement des conseils d'administration français : un état des lieux,"
- Laurence Godard & Alain Schatt, 2004. "Caractéristiques et fonctionnement des conseils d'administration français:un état des lieux," Working Papers FARGO 1040201, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Renee Adams & Hamid Mehran, 2003. "Is corporate governance different for bank holding companies?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 123-142.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.