Skill mismatches and wages among European university graduates
AbstractThis paper uses comparable international data to examine the extent and wage effects of skill mismatches among European university graduates. The results show that the mismatched earn on average 11.7% less than their well-matched counterparts. This effect, however, cannot be regarded as constant across the conditional earnings distribution: workers with lower unobserved earnings capacity tend to be exposed to greater wage loses when they end up in mismatched jobs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33673.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
skill mismatch; pay-penalty; inequality;
Other versions of this item:
- Elena B�rcena-Martín & Santiago Budría & Ana I. Moro-Egido, 2012. "Skill mismatches and wages among European university graduates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(15), pages 1471-1475, October.
- C29 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Other
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2011-10-09 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LAB-2011-10-09 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Budría, Santiago & Moro-Egido, Ana I., 2008.
"Education, educational mismatch, and wage inequality: Evidence for Spain,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 332-341, June.
- Budria, Santiago & Moro-Egido, Ana, 2004. "Education, Educational Mismatch, and Wage Inequality: Evidence for Spain," MPRA Paper 93, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Seamus McGuinness & Peter J. Sloane, 2009.
"Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates; An Analysis Using REFLEX Data,"
WP294, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2011. "Labour market mismatch among UK graduates: An analysis using REFLEX data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 130-145, February.
- McGuinness, Seamus & Sloane, Peter J., 2009. "Labour Market Mismatch Among UK Graduates: An Analysis Using REFLEX Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4168, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus Mcguinness & Nigel O'Leary & Peter Sloane & Yi King Fok, 2010.
"The Problem Of Overskilling In Australia And Britain,"
University of Manchester, vol. 78(3), pages 219-241, 06.
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus McGuinness & Nigel O’Leary & Peter Sloane & Yin King Fok, 2007. "The Problem of Overskilling in Australia and Britain," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2007n33, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Mavromaras, Kostas G. & McGuinness, Seamus & O'Leary, Nigel C. & Sloane, Peter J. & Fok, Yin King, 2007. "The Problem of Overskilling in Australia and Britain," IZA Discussion Papers 3136, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francis Green & Steven McIntosh, 2007. "Is there a genuine under-utilization of skills amongst the over-qualified?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 427-439.
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus Mcguinness & Yin King Fok, 2009.
"Assessing the Incidence and Wage Effects of Overskilling in the Australian Labour Market,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 85(268), pages 60-72, 03.
- Kostas Mavromaras & Seamus McGuinness & Yin King Fok, 2007. "Assessing the Incidence and Wage Effects of Over-skilling in the Australian Labour Market," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2007n32, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Mavromaras, Kostas G. & McGuinness, Seamus & Fok, Yin King, 2007. "Assessing the Incidence and Wage Effects of Over-Skilling in the Australian Labour Market," IZA Discussion Papers 2837, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Allen, Jim & van der Velden, Rolf, 2001. "Educational Mismatches versus Skill Mismatches: Effects on Wages, Job Satisfaction, and On-the-Job Search," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 434-52, July.
- L. Cattani & G. Guidetti & G. Pedrini, 2014. "Assessing the incidence and wage effects of overeducation among Italian graduates using a new measure for educational requirements," Working Papers wp939, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.