The process of highway privatization in Italy and Japan
AbstractIn the last decade, the private sector has increased its role in the highways sector both through the construction and management of new assets. Private sector involvement, often justified by the need to ease public expenditure, allows a reduction in public participation for new investments. The public sector remains in charge of other important issues such as regulation, but privatization entails the transfer of a natural monopoly to another subject with completely different objectives compared with the public operator. The present work wants to analyse the highway privatization processes in Italy and Japan focusing on the two approaches and on their differences; the paper tries to evaluate the policies applied and their consequences on the general economic well – being according to a public economics viewpoint. Italy implemented a real privatization process (even if some regulatory issues have risen) while Japan still faces a strong public presence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29146.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
privatization; highways; natural monopoly; Italy; Japan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R42 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Government and Private Investment Analysis; Road Maintenance; Transportation Planning
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Government Pricing and Policy
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luigi Benfratello & Alberto Iozzi & Paola Valbonesi, 2005. "Privatisation, regulation and productivity in the Italian motorway industry," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0002, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Shuji Uranishi, 2006. "Privatization of the Japan Highway Public Corporation: Policy Assessment," ERSA conference papers ersa06p226, European Regional Science Association.
- Daniel Albalate & Germa Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2007. "Privatization and regulation of toll motorways in europe," IREA Working Papers 200704, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Mar 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.