I distretti produttivi in Sicilia. Analisi e proposte per la competitività
[The productive districts in Sicily. Analysis and proposals for the competitiveness]
AbstractThe work analyzes the productive districts in Sicily, which is a lagging region in terms of development, and it suggests several proposals to make the working of these districts more effective for the competitiveness and the development of the regional economy. The analysis points out the need for a region like Sicily, which is particular-ly weak in the manufacturing sector, to improve its human capital and to trasform this human capital into social capital, and, at the same time, to enrich its en-dowments of material and institutional infrastructures, because all these elements are essential factors for the competitiveness of the districts and their firms. Furthermore, in this essay we put forward the proposition that the Institutions and the State should contribute to create, also through the adoption of the principle of subsidiarity (Quadrio Curzio, 2002), which regulates the interplay between institutions, society, the growth in Sicily, which is a region that spends a great amount of public money, without an adequate return in terms of growth of income and employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 27471.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
industrial districts; competitiveness; regional development.;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniele Schilirò, 2010. "I distretti produttivi in Sicilia. Analisi e proposte per la competitività," ECONOMIA E SOCIETÀ REGIONALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2010(3), pages 92-113.
- O25 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Industrial Policy
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Storper, Michael & Harrison, Bennett, 1991. "Flexibility, hierarchy and regional development: The changing structure of industrial production systems and their forms of governance in the 1990s," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 407-422, October.
- Daniele Schilirò, 2007.
"Knowledge, Learning, Networks and Performance of Firms in Knowledge-Based Economies,"
CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale
crn0702, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2008. "Knowledge, learning, networks and performance of firms in knowledge-based economies," MPRA Paper 30901, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2011.
"Industria e distretti produttivi in Sicilia tra incentivi e sviluppo
[Manufacturing and productive districts in Sicily between incentives and development]," MPRA Paper 35246, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.