La Curva de Laffer y la optimización del recaudo tributario en Cartagena de Indias
[The Laffer Courve and government optimization of the tax revenues: The Cartagena de Indias case]
AbstractThe public managers worries to increase the local government revenues are almost always related with changes in the tax rates, affecting all the agents in the economy. However, at the same time tax exeptions are used like policy instrument in order to achieve economic growth in some sectors, increasing the pressure over some other sectors. This document analize the effect of the tax rates changes over the local government revenues by the estimation of elasticities. This relation is known as the Laffer Courve. The main results show an inelastic relation between the tax rate and the revenues, wich means that an increase of 1% in the tax rate generate an increase in local government revenues in less than a 1%. The results of the model sugesst that a local policy oriented to raise the local government revenues increasing the tax rate is not effective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 2703.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Cartagena; local government revenues; tax rates; Laffer Courve;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2007-04-14 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2007-04-14 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Lora, 2001. "Las Reformas estructurales en América Latina: Qué se ha reformado y cómo medirlo," Research Department Publications 4288, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora & Mauricio Cárdenas, 2006. "La Reforma de las Instituciones Fiscales en América Latina," IDB Publications 7647, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Lora & Mauricio Cardenas, 2006. "La reforma de las instituciones fiscales en América Latina," Research Department Publications 4458, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 2001. "Las Reformas Estructurales en América Latina: Qué Se Ha Reformado y Cómo Medirlo," IDB Publications 7638, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Jaime Bonet, 2008. "Las finanzas públicas en Cartagena, 2000-20007," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 004719, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.