Measuring the maritime potential of nations. The CenPRIS ocean index, phase one (ASEAN)
AbstractThis paper describes the methods used to construct an index to measure the maritime potential of nations. This prototype uses a limited number of variables to measure (a) the locational advantage of having a long coastline in comparison to the landmass (Maritime Potential Index MPI) , (b) the maritime economy (MEI) and (c) the degree a nation or region has utilized its maritime potential (OI). A timeseries of data from 2000 to 2005 for ASEAN states are used to develop the prototype. It is planned to develop the index further by adding variables and extending the regional coverage to all states of Malaysia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24431.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in CenPRIS Working Paper Series 137.10(2010): pp. 1-17
Ocean Research; economic development; maritime industries; fisheries; shipping; economic geography; development policy; ASEAN; Southeast Asia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- N7 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Genschick, Sven & Schraven, Benjamin, 2009. "Constructing Epistemic Landscapes: Methods of GIS-Based Mapping," MPRA Paper 17135, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michela Nardo & Michaela Saisana & Andrea Saltelli & Stefano Tarantola & Anders Hoffman & Enrico Giovannini, 2005. "Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2005/3, OECD Publishing.
- Azhari, Mhd Karim, 2011. "An Introduction to the CenPRIS Ocean Research Cluster ‐ ORES," MPRA Paper 33989, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.