Constructing Epistemic Landscapes: Methods of GIS-Based Mapping
AbstractThe construction of knowledge maps, demonstrated in this paper, is designed to show the epistemic landscape of cities, countries or regions. Knowledge assets, knowledge producing and disseminating organisations are referenced to spatial objects and integrated into GIS. They are further represented in thematic maps and in 3-D perspective graphs. Special attention is given to mapping and measuring knowledge clusters. Statistical procedures to measure the degree of knowledge clustering are discussed and ways are indicated to compare and determine the emergence of knowledge clusters. We conclude that the construction of knowledge maps showing the complexity of epistemic landscapes will enhance the chances of government agencies, companies and civic organisations to understand and use knowledge for development. This paper is in the first place meant as guideline for the related analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17135.
Date of creation: 02 Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Knowledge and development; knowledge maps; epistemic landscapes; knowledge clusters; Geographic Information System (GIS);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N55 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Asia including Middle East
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data; Data Access
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- A1 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- M19 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Other
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-09-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-KNM-2009-09-11 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-URE-2009-09-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Benedikter, Simon, 2009.
"Strategic Group Formation in the Mekong Delta: The Development of a Modern Hydraulic Society,"
17131, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Benedikter, Simon, 2009. "Strategic Group Formation in the Mekong Delta - The Development of a Modern Hydraulic Society," MPRA Paper 13796, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Porter, 2003. "The Economic Performance of Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 549-578.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter, 2008. "Knowledge hubs and knowledge clusters: Designing a knowledge architecture for development," MPRA Paper 8778, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Karim, Azhari, 2011.
"The maritime potential of ASEAN economies,"
31761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter, 2010. "Measuring the maritime potential of nations. The CenPRIS ocean index, phase one (ASEAN)," MPRA Paper 24431, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Siriwardane, Rapti & Winands, Sarah, 2013. "Between hope and hype: Traditional knowledge(s) held by marginal communities," Working Papers 151401, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Gerke, Solvay & Evers, Hans-Dieter, 2011. "Looking East, looking West: Penang as a knowledge hub," MPRA Paper 33980, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- von Braun, Joachim & Gerber, Nicolas & Mirzabaev, Alisher & Nkonya, Ephraim M., 2013. "The Economics of Land Degradation," Working Papers 147910, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Yusoff, Anis & Shamsul, A.BB., 2010. "Ethno-diversity and bio-diversity: Methods and measurement," MPRA Paper 24429, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.