The Maritime Potential of ASEAN Economies
AbstractCountries may utilize a long coastline in relation to their landmass as a resource to develop their maritime economy. This paper argues that ASEAN countries differ in utilizing their maritime potential. As a basis for further comparative studies the Center for Policy Research and International Studies (CenPRIS) in Penang developed a set of indicators to measure the maritime potential of nations, the state of their maritime industries, and the degree to which the maritime potential has actually been utilized. Using the CenPRIS Ocean Index (COI) shows that Brunei and the Philippines have underutilized their maritime potentials, whereas Singapore and Thailand have made full use of it. Malaysia still has the potential to further develop its maritime economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute of Asian Studies, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Hamburg in its journal Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs.
Volume (Year): 30 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, D-20354 Hamburg
Phone: +49 (0)40 42825-593
Fax: +49 (0)40 42825-547
Web page: http://www.currentsoutheastasianaffairs.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- N7 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michela Nardo & Michaela Saisana & Andrea Saltelli & Stefano Tarantola & Anders Hoffman & Enrico Giovannini, 2005. "Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2005/3, OECD Publishing.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter & Genschick, Sven & Schraven, Benjamin, 2009. "Constructing Epistemic Landscapes: Methods of GIS-Based Mapping," MPRA Paper 17135, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Azhari, Mhd Karim, 2011. "An Introduction to the CenPRIS Ocean Research Cluster ‐ ORES," MPRA Paper 33989, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evers, Hans-Dieter, 2014. "Understanding the South China Sea: An Explorative Cultural Analysis," MPRA Paper 55389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Bünte) or (Howard Loewen) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Howard Loewen to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.