Risk-sharing policies in the context of the French Flood Prevention Action Programmes
AbstractThis article analyzes the consequences for risk distribution of the French Flood Prevention Action Programme (PAPI). By redirecting floods from the most vulnerable to the least vulnerable areas, PAPIs expose farmers to greater flood risks. This has led local water management institutions to introduce compensation payments. The article outlines the results of an exhaustive survey of all PAPI programmes in France, which examined the way the compensation policies are set up locally. Results of the survey showed that the proposed policies may be financially non-viable. Several more viable risk-sharing solutions are then discussed, involving insurance schemes, state intervention and local institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 20187.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Environmental Management 2.91(2009): pp. 363-369
flood risk management; flood storage; washland creation; risk transfer; compensation payments; insurance; floodplain restoration; over-flooding; damage assessment.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morris, Joe & Bailey, Alison P. & Alsop, D. & Vivash, R. & Lawson, C. & Leeds-Harrison, P.B., 2003. "Integrating Flood Management and Agri-Environment through Washland Creation in the UK," 14th Congress, Perth, Western Australia, August 10-15, 2003 24397, International Farm Management Association.
- Posthumus, H. & Hewett, C.J.M. & Morris, J. & Quinn, P.F., 2008. "Agricultural land use and flood risk management: Engaging with stakeholders in North Yorkshire," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 787-798, July.
- Dachary-Bernard, Jeanne & Rambonilaza, Tina & Lemarié-Boutry, Marie, 2014. "The response of land markets to flood protection and flood experience: a hedonic price modeling on the Gironde estuary (France)," 88th Annual Conference, April 9-11, 2014, AgroParisTech, Paris, France 169761, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Pauline Brémond & Frédéric Grelot & Anne-Laurence Agenais, 2013. "Review Article: "Flood damage assessment on agricultural areas: review and analysis of existing methods"," Working Papers hal-00783552, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.