Demand for Mental Health Services: An Episode of Treatment Approach
AbstractThis paper analyzes the demand for mental health services using data aggregated to the level of episode of treatment or the bundle of mental health services received during a period of continuous contact with the health care system. We estimate a multinomial logit model and provide estimates of the price elasticity of demand for episodes of mental health care by treatment category (inpatient, outpatient, outpatient with prescription drugs) and the price elasticity of demand for outpatient visits within an episode of care.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19862.
Date of creation: Jul 1989
Date of revision:
Demand for health care services; price elasticity of demand; episodes of treatment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bishai, D. & Sindelar, J. & Ricketts, E.P. & Huettner, S. & Cornelius, L. & Lloyd, J.J. & Havens, J.R. & Latkin, C.A. & Strathdee, S.A., 2008.
"Willingness to pay for drug rehabilitation: Implications for cost recovery,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 959-972, July.
- David Bishai & Jody Sindelar, 2006. "Willingness to Pay for Drug Rehabilitation: Implications for Cost Recovery," NBER Working Papers 12506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Partha Deb & Ann M. Holmes, 2000. "Estimates of use and costs of behavioural health care: a comparison of standard and finite mixture models," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(6), pages 475-489.
- Jeff Desimone & Sara Markowitz, 2003. "The effect of price on counselling sessions attended by depression patients," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(14), pages 899-903.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.