Double Impact on CVA for CDS: Wrong-Way Risk with Stochastic Recovery
AbstractCurrent CVA modeling framework has ignored the impact of stochastic recovery rate. Due to the possible negative correlation between default and recovery rate, stochastic recovery rate could have a doubling effect on wrong-way risk. In the case of a payer CDS, when counterparty defaults, the CDS value could be higher due to default contagion while the recovery rate may also be lower if the economy is in a downturn. Using our recently proposed model of correlated stochastic recovery in the default time Gaussian Copula framework, we demonstrate this double impact on wrong-way risk in the CVA calculation for a payer CDS. We also present a new form of Gaussian copula that correlates both default time and recovery rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19684.
Date of creation: 31 Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Counterparty Risk; Credit Valuation Adjustment; Wrong-Way Risk; Default Time Copula; Gaussian Copula; Default Correlation; Stochastic Recovery; Spot Recovery; Credit Default Swap;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-01-16 (Banking)
- NEP-RMG-2010-01-16 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damiano Brigo & Agostino Capponi, 2008. "Bilateral counterparty risk valuation with stochastic dynamical models and application to Credit Default Swaps," Papers 0812.3705, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2009.
- Li, Hui, 2009. "Extension of Spot Recovery Model for Gaussian Copula," MPRA Paper 17944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christophette Blanchet-Scalliet & Fr\'ed\'eric Patras, 2008. "Counterparty risk valuation for CDS," Papers 0807.0309, arXiv.org.
- Li, Hui, 2008. "CVA calculation for CDS on super senior ABS CDO," MPRA Paper 17945, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damiano Brigo & Kyriakos Chourdakis, 2009. "Counterparty Risk For Credit Default Swaps: Impact Of Spread Volatility And Default Correlation," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(07), pages 1007-1026.
- Li, Hui, 2009. "On Models of Stochastic Recovery for Base Correlation," MPRA Paper 15750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Li, Hui, 2010. "Downturn LGD: A Spot Recovery Approach," MPRA Paper 20010, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.