Bilateral counterparty risk valuation for interest-rate products: impact of volatilities and correlations
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is introducing rigorous methods and formulas for bilateral counterparty risk credit valuation adjustments (CVA's) on interest-rate portfolios. In doing so, we summarize the general arbitrage-free valuation framework for counterparty risk adjustments in presence of bilateral default risk, as developed more in detail in Brigo and Capponi (2008), including the default of the investor. We illustrate the symmetry in the valuation and show that the adjustment involves a long position in a put option plus a short position in a call option, both with zero strike and written on the residual net present value of the contract at the relevant default times. We allow for correlation between the default times of the investor and counterparty, and for correlation of each with the underlying risk factor, namely interest rates. We also analyze the often neglected impact of credit spread volatility. We include Netting in our examples, although other agreements such as Margining and Collateral are left for future work.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0911.3331.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision: Feb 2010
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damiano Brigo & Aurélien Alfonsi, 2005. "Credit default swap calibration and derivatives pricing with the SSRD stochastic intensity model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 29-42, January.
- Damiano Brigo & Naoufel El-Bachir, 2007.
"An exact formula for default swaptions’ pricing in the SSRJD stochastic intensity model,"
ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance
icma-dp2007-14, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Damiano Brigo & Naoufel El-Bachir, 2008. "An exact formula for default swaptions' pricing in the SSRJD stochastic intensity model," Papers 0812.4199, arXiv.org.
- Damiano Brigo & Agostino Capponi, 2008. "Bilateral counterparty risk valuation with stochastic dynamical models and application to Credit Default Swaps," Papers 0812.3705, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2009.
- Damiano Brigo & Marco Tarenghi, 2009. "Credit Default Swap Calibration and Equity Swap Valuation under Counterparty Risk with a Tractable Structural Model," Papers 0912.3028, arXiv.org.
- Damiano Brigo & Kyriakos Chourdakis, 2009. "Counterparty Risk For Credit Default Swaps: Impact Of Spread Volatility And Default Correlation," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(07), pages 1007-1026.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Duffie, Darrell & Lando, David, 2001. "Term Structures of Credit Spreads with Incomplete Accounting Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 633-64, May.
- Damiano Brigo, 2011. "Counterparty Risk FAQ: Credit VaR, PFE, CVA, DVA, Closeout, Netting, Collateral, Re-hypothecation, WWR, Basel, Funding, CCDS and Margin Lending," Papers 1111.1331, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2012.
- Andrea Pallavicini & Daniele Perini & Damiano Brigo, 2012. "Funding, Collateral and Hedging: uncovering the mechanics and the subtleties of funding valuation adjustments," Papers 1210.3811, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2012.
- Damiano Brigo & Andrea Pallavicini & Roberto Torresetti, 2009. "Credit models and the crisis, or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the CDOs," Papers 0912.5427, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2010.
- Andrea Pallavicini & Daniele Perini & Damiano Brigo, 2011. "Funding Valuation Adjustment: a consistent framework including CVA, DVA, collateral,netting rules and re-hypothecation," Papers 1112.1521, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2011.
- Albanese, Claudio & Brigo, Damiano & Oertel, Frank, 2013.
"Restructuring counterparty credit risk,"
14/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Claudio Albanese & Damiano Brigo & Frank Oertel, 2013. "Restructuring Counterparty Credit Risk," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 16(02), pages 1350010-1-1.
- Damiano Brigo & Cristin Buescu & Massimo Morini, 2011. "Impact of the first to default time on Bilateral CVA," Papers 1106.3496, arXiv.org.
- Lixin Wu, 2013. "CVA and FVA to Derivatives Trades Collateralized by Cash," Papers 1302.0465, arXiv.org.
- Damiano Brigo & Massimo Morini & Marco Tarenghi, 2009. "Credit Calibration with Structural Models: The Lehman case and Equity Swaps under Counterparty Risk," Papers 0912.4404, arXiv.org.
- Chris Kenyon, 2010. "Completing CVA and Liquidity: Firm-Level Positions and Collateralized Trades," Papers 1009.3361, arXiv.org.
- Fries, Christian P., 2010. "Discounting Revisited. Valuations under Funding Costs, Counterparty Risk and Collateralization," MPRA Paper 23082, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 May 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.