Alta inflación y planes de ajuste en Brasil durante el retorno a la democracia - 1985-1994
[High inflation and adjustment in Brazil during the return to democracy - 1985-1994]
AbstractAs it also happened in many Latin American countries during the 60s and 70s, inflation became one of the main economic problems in the Brazilian economy. The acceleration of prices and hyperinflation coexisted not only with periods of economic expansion (1956-1979), but also with huge contractions of the economy (1980-1989), and even with periods of major economic reforms(1990-1993). Inflation was perceived as a huge problem by Brazilian economic authorities from 1979 on. Since then, multiple adjustment programs were followed by the different governments with sharp distinctions between orthodox and heterodox programs. This work describes the main adjustment programs designed by economic authorities in the period 1985-1994.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18956.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Brazil; fiscal policy; external debt; inflation; hyperinflation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E02 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Institutions and the Macroeconomy
- N16 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- N46 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luiz Carlos Bresser Pereira, 1991. "A lógica perversa da estagnação: dívida, déficit e inflação no Brasil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 45(2), pages 187-212, April.
- Carlos Eduardo Carvalho, 2003. "O fracasso do Plano Collor: erros de execução ou de concepção?," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 4(2), pages 283-331, July-Dece.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 1997. "Heterodox Inflation Stabilization in Argentina, Brazil, and Israel. A Historical Review and Some Stylized Facts," Cahiers de recherche 9707, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.