Factor intensity and order of resource extraction
AbstractThis paper characterizes the optimal time paths of extraction of several nonrenewable resource deposits with different costs of extraction when the extracted resource can be converted into productive capital and the extraction process, as well as the production of the substitute, requires two primary factors of production. Under a technological assumption granting that the time paths of primary factor prices are monotonic, we show that, for each pair (lower cost/higher cost) of deposits, an intensity condition is necessary in order to have discontinuous extraction of the lower cost deposit. We also show that the same condition is sufficient for discontinuous extraction of the lower cost deposit, provided the stock of the lower cost deposit is sufficiently large and the stocks of all other deposits are sufficiently small.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18790.
Date of creation: 20 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Exhaustible resources; Optimal control; Order of extraction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q32 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - Exhaustible Resources and Economic Development
- Q3 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- CHAKRAVORTY Ujjayant & MOREAUX Michel & TIDBALL Mabel, 2006.
"Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources,"
LERNA Working Papers
06.19.212, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Michel Moreaux & Mabel Tidball, 2008. "Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 1128-44, June.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Moreaux, Michel & Tidball, Mabel, 2008. "Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Moreaux, Michel & Tidball, Mabel, 2006. "Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," IDEI Working Papers 415, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E, 1990. "A Convex Model of Equilibrium Growth: Theory and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1008-38, October.
- Eric Iksoon Im & Ujjayant Chakravorty & James Roumasset, 2004.
"Discontinuous Extraction of a Nonrenewable Resource,"
0406, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Im, Eric Iksoon & Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Roumasset, James, 2006. "Discontinuous extraction of a nonrenewable resource," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 6-11, January.
- Eric Iksoon Im & Ujjayant Chakravorty & James Roumasset, 2005. "Discontinuous Extraction of a Nonrenewable Resource," Working Papers 200509, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Amigues, Jean-Pierre & Favard, Pascal & Gaudet, Gerard & Moreaux, Michel, 1998.
"On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute Is Limited,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 153-170, May.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P, Gaudet, G & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Amigues, J.-P. & Favard, P. & Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M., 1996. "On The Optimal Order of Natural Resourse Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Papers 96.431, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Amigues, J-P & Favard, P., Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M, 1996. "On the Optimal Order of Natural Resource Use When the Capacity of the Inexhaustible Substitute is Limited," Cahiers de recherche 9628, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Giuseppe Freni & Fausto Gozzi & Neri Salvadori, 2006.
"Existence of optimal strategies in linear multisector models,"
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 25-48, September.
- Giuseppe Freni & Fausto Gozzi & Neri Salvadori, 2004. "Existence of Optimal Strategies in linear Multisector Models," Discussion Papers 2004/29, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Lewis, Tracy R, 1982. "Sufficient Conditions for Extracting Least Cost Resource First," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1081-83, July.
- Sergio T. Rebelo, 1992.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerard Gaudet & Michel Moreaux & Stephen W. Salant, 2001. "Intertemporal Depletion of Resource Sites by Spatially Distributed Users," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1149-1159, September.
- Holland, Stephen P., 2003. "Extraction capacity and the optimal order of extraction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 569-588, May.
- Favard, P., 2001.
"Does Productive Capital Affect the Order of Resource Exploitation,"
Cahiers du LASER (LASER Working Papers)
2001.01, LASER (Laboratoire de Science Economique de Richter), Faculty of Economics, University of Montpellier 1.
- Favard, Pascal, 2002. "Does productive capital affect the order of resource exploitation?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 911-918, June.
- Kemp, Murray C & Long, Ngo Van, 1980. "On Two Folk Theorems Concerning the Extraction of Exhaustible Resources," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 663-73, April.
- Freni, Giuseppe & Gozzi, Fausto & Pignotti, Cristina, 2008. "Optimal strategies in linear multisector models: Value function and optimality conditions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 55-86, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.