“Ombro-Cabeça-Ombro”: Testando a Lucratividade do Padrão Gráfico de Análise Técnica no Mercado de Ações Brasileiro
[Head and Shoulder: testing the profitability of graphic pattern of technical analysis for the Brazilian Stock Exchange]
AbstractStarting from an adapted version of Osler and Chang (1995) methodology, this article empirically evaluates the profitability of investment strategies based on identification of the Head and Shoulders chart pattern in the Brazilian stock market. For that purpose, several investment strategies conditioned by the identification of the Head and Shoulders pattern (in its basic and inverted forms) by a computer algorithm in daily price series of 30 stocks from January 1994 to January 2009 were defined. Confidence intervals consistent with the null hypothesis that no strategies with positive returns can be based only on historical data were constructed using the Bootstrap sample inference technique in order to test the predictive power of each strategy. More specifically, the mean returns obtained by each strategy when applied to the stock’s price series were compared to those obtained by the same strategies when applied to 1.000 artificial price series - for each stock - generated in a parametric manner, by an E-GARCH, and in a nonparametric one. Overall, our results show that it is possible to create strategies conditioned by the occurrence of Head and Shoulders, with positive returns, which indicates that these patterns can capture from stock historical prices some signals about their future price trend that makes possible to create profitable strategies. Nevertheless, the same conclusions are not valid for the pattern in its inverted form and when the effects of taxes and transaction costs are considered, depending on their magnitude, neither in its basic form.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15653.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Charting; Technical Analysis; Bootstrap; E-GARCH; investment strategy; Head and Shoulders; Osler and Chang;
Other versions of this item:
- Pereira, Pedro Luiz Valls, 2009. "“Ombro-cabeça-ombro” : testando a lucratividade do padrão gráfico de análise técnica no mercado de ações brasileiro," Textos para discussÃ£o 181, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
" Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991. "Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns," Working papers 90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Baptista, Ricardo F. de F. & Valls Pereira, Pedro L., 2008.
"Análise do Desempenho de Regras de Análise Técnica Aplicada ao Mercado Intradiário do Contrato Futuro do Índice Bovespa
[Analysis of the performance of Technical Analysis startegies applied to," MPRA Paper 10351, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baptista, Ricardo Fuscaldi de Figueiredo & Pereira, Pedro Luiz Valls, 2009. "Análise do desempenho de regras da análise técnica aplicada ao mercado intradiário do contrato futuro do índice Ibovespa," Textos para discussÃ£o 173, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Ricardo Torres & Marco Antonio Cesar Bonomo & Cristiano Fernandes, 2002.
"A Aleatoriedade do Passeio na Bovespa: Testando a Eficiência do Mercado Acionário Brasileiro,"
Revista Brasileira de Economia,
FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 56(2), pages 199-247, April.
- Coelho, Cristiano Augusto Fernandes & Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar & Torres, Ricardo, 2000. "A Aleatoriedade do Passeio na Bovespa: Testando a Eficiência do Mercado Acionário Brasileira," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 402, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- C.L. Osler & P.H. Kevin Chang, 1995. "Head and shoulders: not just a flaky pattern," Staff Reports 4, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988.
"Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Tom Doan, . "VRATIO: RATS procedure to implement variance ratio unit root test procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00231, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test," NBER Working Papers 2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheol-Ho Park & Scott H. Irwin, 2007. "What Do We Know About The Profitability Of Technical Analysis?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(4), pages 786-826, 09.
- Chang, Eui Jung & Lima, Eduardo Jose Araujo & Tabak, Benjamin Miranda, 2004. "Testing for predictability in emerging equity markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 295-316, September.
- Jensen, Michael C & Bennington, George A, 1970. "Random Walks and Technical Theories: Some Additional Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 469-82, May.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Pedro A. C. Saffi, 2003. "Análise Técnica: Sorte ou Realidade?," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 57(4), pages 953-974, October.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2005. "Possible causes of long-range dependence in the Brazilian stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 345(3), pages 635-645.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Souza, Nathalia A., 2005. "Periodic market closures and the long-range dependence phenomena in the Brazilian equity market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 351(2), pages 512-522.
- Jensen, Michael C., 1978. "Some anomalous evidence regarding market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 95-101.
- Pereira, Pedro Luiz Valls, 2009.
"Predictability of equity models,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
176, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.