Periodic market closures and the long-range dependence phenomena in the Brazilian equity market
AbstractThis paper presents new empirical evidence of the effect of periodic market closures in financial markets which is not available in the literature yet. In particular, employing closing and opening prices, we have found that the intensity of the long-range dependence phenomena presented in this market depends on the time of the day that this phenomena is measured. This kind of pattern seems to be related to trading performed by different types of investors and the flow of information over the day.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 351 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Long-range dependence; Market microstructure; Emerging equity markets; Local Whittle; Market closures;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Harrison Hong & Jiang Wang, 2000. "Trading and Returns under Periodic Market Closures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 297-354, 02.
- Stoll, Hans R & Whaley, Robert E, 1990. "Stock Market Structure and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 37-71.
- Slezak, Steve L, 1994. " A Theory of the Dynamics of Security Returns around Market Closures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1163-1211, September.
- Boainain, Pedro G. & Valls Pereira, Pedro L., 2009.
"“Ombro-Cabeça-Ombro”: Testando a Lucratividade do Padrão Gráfico de Análise Técnica no Mercado de Ações Brasileiro
[Head and Shoulder: testing the profitability of graphic pattern of tec," MPRA Paper 15653, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pereira, Pedro Luiz Valls, 2009. "“Ombro-cabeça-ombro” : testando a lucratividade do padrão gráfico de análise técnica no mercado de ações brasileiro," Textos para discussÃ£o 181, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Cheong, Chongcheul & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2010. "Contemporaneous aggregation and long-memory property of returns and volatility in the Korean stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4844-4854.
- Reboredo, Juan C. & Rivera-Castro, Miguel A. & Miranda, José G.V. & García-Rubio, Raquel, 2013. "How fast do stock prices adjust to market efficiency? Evidence from a detrended fluctuation analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(7), pages 1631-1637.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2008. "Long memory features in the high frequency data of the Korean stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(21), pages 5189-5196.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.