Periodic market closures and the long-range dependence phenomena in the Brazilian equity market
AbstractThis paper presents new empirical evidence of the effect of periodic market closures in financial markets which is not available in the literature yet. In particular, employing closing and opening prices, we have found that the intensity of the long-range dependence phenomena presented in this market depends on the time of the day that this phenomena is measured. This kind of pattern seems to be related to trading performed by different types of investors and the flow of information over the day.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 351 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Long-range dependence; Market microstructure; Emerging equity markets; Local Whittle; Market closures;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Brock, William A. & Kleidon, Allan W., 1992. "Periodic market closure and trading volume : A model of intraday bids and asks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 451-489.
- Stoll, Hans R & Whaley, Robert E, 1990. "Stock Market Structure and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 37-71.
- K.C. Chan & Wai-Ming Fong & Rene M. Stulz, 1994.
"Information, Trading and Stock Returns: Lessons from Dually-Listed Securities,"
NBER Working Papers
4743, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chan, K. C. & Fong, Wai-Ming & Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, ReneM., 1996. "Information, trading and stock returns: Lessons from dually-listed securities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1161-1187, August.
- Slezak, Steve L, 1994. " A Theory of the Dynamics of Security Returns around Market Closures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1163-1211, September.
- Gerety, Mason S & Mulherin, J Harold, 1994. "Price Formation on Stock Exchanges: The Evolution of Trading within the Day," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 609-29.
- Harrison Hong & Jiang Wang, 2000. "Trading and Returns under Periodic Market Closures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 297-354, 02.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Cheong, Chongcheul & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2010. "Contemporaneous aggregation and long-memory property of returns and volatility in the Korean stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4844-4854.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2008. "Long memory features in the high frequency data of the Korean stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(21), pages 5189-5196.
- Pereira, Pedro Luiz Valls, 2009.
"“Ombro-cabeça-ombro” : testando a lucratividade do padrão gráfico de análise técnica no mercado de ações brasileiro,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
181, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Boainain, Pedro G. & Valls Pereira, Pedro L., 2009.
"“Ombro-Cabeça-Ombro”: Testando a Lucratividade do Padrão Gráfico de Análise Técnica no Mercado de Ações Brasileiro
[Head and Shoulder: testing the profitability of graphic pattern of tec," MPRA Paper 15653, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boainain, Pedro G. & Valls Pereira, Pedro L., 2009. "“Ombro-Cabeça-Ombro”: Testando a Lucratividade do Padrão Gráfico de Análise Técnica no Mercado de Ações Brasileiro
- Reboredo, Juan C. & Rivera-Castro, Miguel A. & Miranda, José G.V. & García-Rubio, Raquel, 2013. "How fast do stock prices adjust to market efficiency? Evidence from a detrended fluctuation analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(7), pages 1631-1637.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.