Existence of continuous utility functions for arbitrary binary relations: some sufficient conditions
AbstractWe present new sufficient conditions for the existence of a continuous utility function for an arbitrary binary relation on a topological space. Such conditions are basically obtained by using both the concept of a weakly continuous binary relation on a topological space and the concept of a countable network weight. In particular, we are concerned with suitable topological notions which generalize the concept of compactness and do not imply second countability or local compactness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14808.
Date of creation: 04 Mar 2009
Date of revision:
hereditarily Lindeloef space; weakly continuous binary relation; countable network weight; hemicompactness; submetrizability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chateauneuf, Alain, 1987. "Continuous representation of a preference relation on a connected topological space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 139-146, April.
- Bosi, G. & Mehta, G. B., 2002. "Existence of a semicontinuous or continuous utility function: a unified approach and an elementary proof," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 311-328, November.
- Back, Kerry, 1986. "Concepts of similarity for utility functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 129-142, April.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & Bosi, Gianni & Zuanon, Magalì, 2013. "Representations of preorders by strong multi-objective functions," MPRA Paper 52329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.