Efficient Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model
AbstractIn this paper two kernel-based nonparametric estimators are proposed for estimating the components of an additive quantile regression model. The first estimator is a computationally convenient approach which can be viewed as a viable alternative to the method of De Gooijer and Zerom (2003). With the aim to reduce variance of the first estimator, a second estimator is defined via sequential fitting of univariate local polynomial quantile smoothing for each additive component with the other additive components replaced by the corresponding estimates from the first estimator. The second estimator achieves oracle efficiency in the sense that each estimated additive component has the same variance as in the case when all other additive components were known. Asymptotic properties are derived for both estimators under dependent processes that are strictly stationary and absolutely regular. We also provide a demonstrative empirical application of additive quantile models to ambulance travel times.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 14388.
Date of creation: 14 Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Additive models; Asymptotic properties; Dependent data; Internalized kernel smoothing; Local polynomial; Oracle efficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Yebin Cheng & Jan G. De Gooijer & Dawit Zerom, 2011. "Efficient Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 38(1), pages 46-62, 03.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Gooijer J.G. & Zerom D., 2003. "On Additive Conditional Quantiles With High Dimensional Covariates," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 135-146, January.
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Zerom, Dawit, 2005. "Kernel estimation of a partially linear additive model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(4), pages 313-322, May.
- Doksum, Kjell & Koo, Ja-Yong, 2000. "On spline estimators and prediction intervals in nonparametric regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 67-82, November.
- Sokbae Lee & Joel L. Horowitz, 2004.
"Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
721, Econometric Society.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2005. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1238-1249, December.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of an additive quantile regression model," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1995-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Keming Yu & Zudi Lu, 2004. "Local Linear Additive Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 31(3), pages 333-346.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2003. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation Of A Partially Linear Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 1-31, February.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Cai, Zongwu & Ould-Saïd, Elias, 2003. "Local M-estimator for nonparametric time series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 433-449, December.
- Cai, Zongwu & Xu, Xiaoping, 2008. "Nonparametric Quantile Estimations for Dynamic Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1595-1608.
- Toshio Honda, 2000. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Conditional Quantile for α-Mixing Processes," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 459-470, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.