Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model
AbstractThis paper is concerned with estimating the additive components of a nonparametric additive quantile regression model. We develop an estimator that is asymptotically normally distributed with a rate of convergence in probability of n-r/(2r+1) when the additive components are r-times continuously differentiable for some r = 2. This result holds regardless of the dimension of the covariates and, therefore, the new estimator has no curse of dimensionality. In addition, the estimator has an oracle property and is easily extended to a generalized additive quantile regression model with a link function. The numerical performance and usefulness of the estimator are illustrated by Monte Carlo experiments and an empirical example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of the American Statistical Association.
Volume (Year): 100 (2005)
Issue (Month): (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jasa/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of an additive quantile regression model," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Sokbae Lee & Joel L. Horowitz, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 721, Econometric Society.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- Hardle, W., 1992.
"Applied Nonparametric Methods,"
9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Discussion Paper 1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992. "Applied nonparametric methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Yishay Yafeh & Oved Yosha, 2003. "Large Shareholders and Banks: Who Monitors and How?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(484), pages 128-146, January.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Mammen, Enno, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation of an additive model with a link function," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,63, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Gozalo, Pedro L. & Linton, Oliver B., 2001. "Testing additivity in generalized nonparametric regression models with estimated parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 1-48, August.
- Doksum, Kjell & Koo, Ja-Yong, 2000. "On spline estimators and prediction intervals in nonparametric regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 67-82, November.
- Oliver LINTON, .
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- De Gooijer J.G. & Zerom D., 2003. "On Additive Conditional Quantiles With High Dimensional Covariates," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 135-146, January.
- Joel Horowitz & Enno Mammen, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation of an additive model with a link function," CeMMAP working papers CWP19/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Khan, Shakeeb, 2001. "Two-stage rank estimation of quantile index models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 319-355, February.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2002-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- He, Xuming & Shi, Peide, 1996. "Bivariate Tensor-Product B-Splines in a Partly Linear Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 162-181, August.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2003. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation Of A Partially Linear Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 1-31, February.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Efang Kong & Oliver Linton & Yingcun Xia, 2009.
"Uniform Bahadur Representation for LocalPolynomial Estimates of M-Regressionand Its Application to The Additive Model,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2009/535, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Kong, Efang & Linton, Oliver & Xia, Yingcun, 2010. "Uniform Bahadur Representation For Local Polynomial Estimates Of M-Regression And Its Application To The Additive Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1529-1564, October.
- Lian, Heng, 2012. "A note on the consistency of Schwarz’s criterion in linear quantile regression with the SCAD penalty," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(7), pages 1224-1228.
- Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Ya'acov Ritov & Weining Wang, 2013. "Tie the straps: uniform bootstrap confidence bands for bounded influence curve estimators," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-047, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355, February.
- Cai, Zongwu & Xiao, Zhijie, 2012.
"Semiparametric quantile regression estimation in dynamic models with partially varying coefficients,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 413-425.
- Zongwu Cai & Zhijie Xiao, 2010. "Semiparametric Quantile Regression Estimation in Dynamic Models with Partially Varying Coefficients," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 761, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cheng, Yebin & De Gooijer, Jan & Zerom, Dawit, 2009.
"Efficient Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model,"
14388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yebin Cheng & Jan G. De Gooijer & Dawit Zerom, 2011. "Efficient Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 38(1), pages 46-62, 03.
- Yebin Cheng & Jan G. De Gooijer & Dawit Zerom, 2009. "Efficient Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-104/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Holger Dette & Regine Scheder, 2011. "Estimation of additive quantile regression," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 245-265, April.
- Wu, Tracy Z. & Yu, Keming & Yu, Yan, 2010. "Single-index quantile regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(7), pages 1607-1621, August.
- Yue, Yu Ryan & Rue, Håvard, 2011. "Bayesian inference for additive mixed quantile regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 84-96, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.