Enseignement d'une meta-analyse sur le lien participation budgétaire-performance managériale
[Lesson from Meta-analysis for the relation between budgetary participation and managerial performance]
AbstractThis meta-analysis is a critical comparison of three of quantitative synthesis. It applies some propositions of the Potsdam international consultation on meta-analysis, in the field of management control. Study design. After a traditional narrative review, three meta-analysis methodologies for the synthesis of articles with heterogeneous methodologies and fields are presented. After a short critical presentation of our results with “box score” and p-values combination methods, we show the result of best-evidence synthesis and its stability as recommended at the Potsdam international consultation on meta-analysis. Results. The results of the methods of meta-analysis implemented do not make it possible to conclude without prudence. The link “budget participation-managerial performance” paradoxically seems negative for the articles of better quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12958.
Date of creation: 21 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
meta-analysis; budgetary participation; managerial performance; box score method; best-evidence synthesis;
Other versions of this item:
- Adrien Bonache & Jonathan Maurice & Karen Moris, 2010. "Participation budgétaire et performance managériale:Une combinaison de méta-analyses -Budgetary participation and managerial performance:A combination of meta-analyses," Working Papers FARGO 1101001, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Adrien Bonache & Jonathan Maurice & Moris Karen & Irène Georgescu, 2009. "Enseignements D'Une Meta-Analyse Sur Le Lien Participation Budgetaire-Performance Manageriale," Post-Print halshs-00460130, HAL.
- M49 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Other
- C89 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard M. Bass & Harold J. Leavitt, 1963. "Some Experiments in Planning and Operating," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(4), pages 574-585, July.
- Jermias, Johnny & Setiawan, Trisnawati, 2008. "The moderating effects of hierarchy and control systems on the relationship between budgetary participation and performance," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 268-292, September.
- Nouri, H. & Parker, R. J., 1998. "The relationship between budget participation and job performance: The roles of budget adequacy and organizational commitment," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 467-483.
- Parker, Robert J. & Kyj, Larissa, 2006. "Vertical information sharing in the budgeting process," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 27-45, January.
- Chenhall, Robert H. & Brownell, Peter, 1988. "The effect of participative budgeting on job satisfaction and performance: Role ambiguity as an intervening variable," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 225-233, April.
- A.B. Bonache & J. Maurice, 2010.
"A Best Evidence Synthesis On The Link Between Budgetary Participation And Managerial Performance,"
Journal of Applied Economic Sciences,
Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 5(2(12)/Sum), pages 34-47.
- Adrien Bonache & Jonathan Maurice & Karen Moris, 2010. "A Best Evidence Synthesis on the Link Between Budgetary Participation and Managerial Performance," Working Papers FARGO 1101002, Université de Bourgogne - Crego EA 7317/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Bonache, Adrien & Maurice, Jonathan & Moris, Karen, 2010. "A Best evidence synthesis on the link between budgetary participation and managerial performance," MPRA Paper 20924, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adrien Bonache & Jonathan Maurice & Karen Moris, 2010. "A best evidence synthesis on the link between budgetary participation and managerial performance," Post-Print hal-00736237, HAL.
- Lau, Chong M. & Low, Liang C. & Eggleton, Ian R. C., 1995. "The impact of reliance on accounting performance measures on job-related tension and managerial performance: Additional evidence," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 359-381, July.
- Dunk, Alan S., 1995. "The joint effect of participative budgeting and managerial interest in innovation on departmental performance," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 75-85, March.
- Selwyn Becker & David Green & Jr., 1962. "Budgeting and Employee Behavior," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35, pages 392.
- Otley, David & Pollanen, Raili M., 2000. "Budgetary criteria in performance evaluation: a critical appraisal using new evidence," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 25(4-5), pages 483-496, May.
- Mia, Lokman, 1989. "The impact of participation in budgeting and job difficulty on managerial performance and work motivation: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 347-357, July.
- Merchant, Kenneth A., 1984. "Influences on departmental budgeting: an empirical examination of a contingency model," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 9(3-4), pages 291-307, October.
- Brownell, Peter & Dunk, Alan S., 1991. "Task uncertainty and its interaction with budgetary participation and budget emphasis: Some methodological issues and empirical investigation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 693-703.
- Klaus Derfuss, 2009. "The Relationship of Budgetary Participation and Reliance on Accounting Performance Measures with Individual-Level Consequent Variables: A Meta-Analysis," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 203-239.
- Shields, J. F. & Shields, M. D., 1998. "Antecedents of participative budgeting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 49-76, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.