Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector
AbstractIn recent years developing countries have emerged as significant participants in the OFDI (outward foreign direct investment) activities having the strategic asset seeking motive. Such OFDI which is assets exploiting cum augmenting involves potential two way cross border knowledge flows. This study examines these issues for the Indian automotive industry that is currently transnationalizing at a rapid rate in terms of both exports and OFDI. The study traces the technological capability building and several dimensions of OFDI in this industry. The case studies of two major automotive Groups highlight their competence building, and knowledge seeking operations. This study undertakes a quantitative analysis of the influence of OFDI activities on the in‐house (domestic) R&D performance of Indian automotive firms during 1988–2008. As expected, the favourable impacts on R&D intensity appear to be stronger for developed vs. developing host nations, and for joint venture vs. wholly‐owned ownership OFDI. The study concludes with suggestions to promote particularly the strategic asset enhancing OFDI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12332.
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
OFDI; Strategic Assets‐seeking FDI; R&D; Automotive Industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Neelam Singh, 2009. "Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 1(1), pages 156-187, June.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Singh, Neelam, 2008. "Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector," MPRA Paper 12325, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-01-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2009-01-03 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holger GÃ¶rg & David Greenaway, 2004.
"Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," IZA Discussion Papers 944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2005. "Liberalization, outward orientation and in-house R&D activity of multinational and local firms: A quantitative exploration for Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 441-460, May.
- Badri Narayanan G. & Pankaj Vashisht, 2008.
"Determinants of Competitiveness of the Indian Auto Industry,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22234, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Badri Narayanan G., 2010. "Determinants of Competitiveness of the Indian Auto Industry," Working Papers id:2713, eSocialSciences.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Persson, Hakan, 1983. "Foreign investment and spillover efficiency in an underdeveloped economy: Evidence from the Mexican manufacturing industry," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 493-501, June.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2004. "The determinants of outward foreign direct investment: a firm-level analysis of Indian manufacturing," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 619-639.
- Okada, Aya, 2004. "Skills Development and Interfirm Learning Linkages under Globalization: Lessons from the Indian Automobile Industry," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1265-1288, July.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2005. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment from India: Recent Trends and Patterns," MPRA Paper 12358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1983. "Determinants of R&D in an LDC : The Indian engineering industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 379-383.
- Fishman, Arthur & Rob, Rafael, 1999. "The Size of Firms and R&D Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 915-31, November.
- Rui, Huaichuan & Yip, George S., 2008. "Foreign acquisitions by Chinese firms: A strategic intent perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 213-226, March.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Abraham, Vinoj, 2004. "Overseas Mergers and Acquisitions by Indian Enterprises: Patterns and Motivations," MPRA Paper 17076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deng, Ping, 2007. "Investing for strategic resources and its rationale: The case of outward FDI from Chinese companies," Business Horizons, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 71-81.
- Poon, Jessie P.H. & MacPherson, Alan, 2005. "Technology acquisition among Korean and Taiwanese firms in the United States," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 559-575, October.
- Henrik Braconier & Karolina Ekholm & Karen Knarvik, 2001. "In search of FDI-transmitted R&D spillovers: A study based on Swedish data," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 137(4), pages 644-665, December.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2007.
"Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development,"
12360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, . "Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development," Working Papers, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID) 0704, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Lee Branstetter, 2000. "Is Foreign Direct Investment a Channel of Knowledge Spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States," NBER Working Papers 8015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Maximiliano Sosa AndrÃ©s & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati & Andreas Waldkirch, 2012. "What Drives Indiaâ€™s Outward FDI?," Kiel Working Papers 1800, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Singh, Neelam, 2013. "Automotive Industry Response to its Global QMS Standard ISO/TS-16949," MPRA Paper 51342, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Morris, Sebastian & Jain, Palakh, 2013. "Empirical study on inter-country OFDI," MPRA Paper 56194, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Singh, Neelam, 2010. "Group Affiliation and Location of Indian Firmsâ€™ Foreign Acquisitions," MPRA Paper 24018, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2010. "Strategic Asset-Seeking Activities of Emerging Multinationals: Perspectives of Foreign Acquisitions by Indian Pharmaceutical MNEs," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 1(2).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2011. "Regional heterogeneity and firmsâ€™ innovation: the role of regional factors in industrial R&D in India," MPRA Paper 28096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.