Towards a sustainable Growth story: A critical analysis of the fundamentals
AbstractIn this paper, I will develop an insight into the growth process of Indian Economy and will find that increased inequality due to unconventional transitions have its negative implications for future growth prospects and the overall issue of sustainability. The objective of this paper is to throw light on theoretical concepts of growth process and to suggest some policies which are in line with the conventions and at the same time are well integrated with the contemporary Indian Economy. Issues like that of consumption inequality, labor mobility etc. have been identified as inhibiting factors for a smooth flow of transitions and with a sector specific analysis, have been dealt with, so as to remove them and make the transition process free flowing, which will bring about a sustainable long-run growth strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12306.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Consumption Inequality; Labor Mobility;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deepika Goel, 2002. "Impact of Infrastructure on Productivity: Case of Indian Registered Manufacturing," Working papers, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics 106, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Gersovitz, Mark, 1983. "Savings and Nutrition at Low Incomes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(5), pages 841-55, October.
- Stephane Straub, 2011.
"Infrastructure and Development: A Critical Appraisal of the Macro-level Literature,"
Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(5), pages 683-708.
- Straub, Stephane, 2008. "Infrastructure and development : a critical appraisal of the macro level literature," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 4590, The World Bank.
- Stephane Straub, 2008. "Infrastructure and Development: A Critical Appraisal of the Macro-level Literature," ESE Discussion Papers, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh 178, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Thomas Steger, 1997.
"Productive Consumption and Growth in Developing Countries,"
Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge, UniversitÃ¤t Siegen, FakultÃ¤t Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht
64-97, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Steger, Thomas M, 2000. "Productive Consumption and Growth in Developing Countries," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 365-75, October.
- Thomas M. Steger, 1997. "Productive Consumption and Growth in Developing Countries," Development and Comp Systems, EconWPA 9710001, EconWPA, revised 02 Dec 1997.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2001.
"Alternative Methods for Measuring Productivity Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
8095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2000. "Alternative Methods for Measuring Productivity Growth," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 1282, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Wheeler, David, 1980. "Basic needs fulfillment and economic growth : A simultaneous model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 435-451, December.
- Hicks, Norman L., 1979. "Growth vs basic needs: Is there a trade-off?," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(11-12), pages 985-994.
- Sen, Amartya, 1974. "Informational bases of alternative welfare approaches : Aggregation and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-403, November.
- Poonam Gupta, 2008.
"What Constrains Indian Manufacturing,"
- Ram, Rati & Schultz, Theodore W, 1979. "Life Span, Health, Savings, and Productivity," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(3), pages 399-421, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.