A multi-agent growth model based on the von Neumann-Leontief framework
AbstractThis paper presents a discrete-time growth model to describe the dynamics of a multi-agent economy, and the model consists of production process, exchange process, price and technology adjustment processes etc. Technologies of agents in each period are represented by a technology matrix pair, and some properties of Perron-Frobenius eigenvalues and eigenvectors of technology matrix pairs are discussed. An exchange model is also developed to serve as the exchange part of the growth model. And equilibrium paths of the growth model are proved to be balanced growth paths sharing a unique normalized price vector. Though this paper focuses mainly on the case of n agents and n goods, the growth model can also deal with the case of m agents and n goods. A numerical example with 6 agents and 4 goods is given, which describes the dynamics of a two-country economy and has endogenous price fluctuations and business cycles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 11302.
Date of creation: 08 Aug 2008
Date of revision:
von Neumann’s expanding economic model; input-output model; dynamic general equilibrium; disequilibrium; multi-country economic model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B51 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Socialist; Marxian; Sraffian
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2008-11-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2008-11-04 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Dempster & I. Evstigneev & M. Taksar, 2006.
"Asset Pricing and Hedging in Financial Markets with Transaction Costs: An Approach Based on the Von Neumann–Gale Model,"
Annals of Finance,
Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 327-355, October.
- M A H Dempster & I V Evstigneev & M I Taksar, 2005. "Asset pricing and hedging in financial markets with transaction costs: an approach based on the von Neumann-Gale model," Working Papers 062005, University of Cambridge, Judge Business School, Centre for Financial Research.
- I. V. Evstigneev & K. R. Schenk-Hoppé, 2006.
"VPure and Randomized Equilibria in the Stochastic von Neumann-Gale model,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0603, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Evstigneev, Igor V. & Schenk-Hoppe, Klaus Reiner, 2007. "Pure and randomized equilibria in the stochastic von Neumann-Gale model," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(7-8), pages 871-887, September.
- McKenzie, Lionel W, 1976.
Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 841-65, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.