Growth-optimal investments and numeraire portfolios under transaction costs: An analysis based on the von Neumann-Gale model
AbstractThe aim of this work is to extend the capital growth theory developed by Kelly, Breiman, Cover and others to asset market models with transaction costs. We define a natural generalization of the notion of a numeraire portfolio proposed by Long and show how such portfolios can be used for constructing growth-optimal investment strategies. The analysis is based on the classical von Neumann-Gale model of economic dynamics, a stochastic version of which we use as a framework for the modelling of financial markets with frictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0909.4730.
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kabanov, Yu. M. & Stricker, Ch., 2001. "The Harrison-Pliska arbitrage pricing theorem under transaction costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 185-196, April.
- Kallal, Hedi & Jouini, Elyès, 1995. "Martingales and arbitrage in securities markets with transaction costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5630, Paris Dauphine University.
- M. Dempster & I. Evstigneev & M. Taksar, 2006.
"Asset Pricing and Hedging in Financial Markets with Transaction Costs: An Approach Based on the Von Neumann–Gale Model,"
Annals of Finance,
Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 327-355, October.
- M A H Dempster & I V Evstigneev & M I Taksar, 2005. "Asset pricing and hedging in financial markets with transaction costs: an approach based on the von Neumann-Gale model," Working Papers 062005, University of Cambridge, Judge Business School, Centre for Financial Research.
- Evstigneev, Igor V. & Schenk-Hoppe, Klaus Reiner, 2007.
"Pure and randomized equilibria in the stochastic von Neumann-Gale model,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(7-8), pages 871-887, September.
- I. V. Evstigneev & K. R. Schenk-Hoppé, 2006. "VPure and Randomized Equilibria in the Stochastic von Neumann-Gale model," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0603, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- repec:fth:inseep:9513 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eckhard Platen, 2006.
"A Benchmark Approach To Finance,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 131-151.
- Jouini Elyes & Kallal Hedi, 1995. "Martingales and Arbitrage in Securities Markets with Transaction Costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 178-197, June.
- Y.M. Kabanov, 1999. "Hedging and liquidation under transaction costs in currency markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 237-248.
- Wael Bahsoun & Igor Evstigneev & Michael Taksar, 2007. "Rapid paths in von Neumann-Gale dynamical systems," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0718, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.