The Impact of Active Labour Market Policies in Romania
AbstractFollowing the predominance of macroeconomic stabilisation policies and passive policies for alleviate the reform shock in the first phase of transition, active labour market policies (ALMPs) have now come to play a more important role in transition economies. In this paper I present a theoretical and empirical analysis of different types of active labour market policies (ALMPs). In my empirical analysis I use data on Romania covering the time period 2000-2005. I find that subsidized jobs are the most effective program to bring down unemployment. Labour market training and temporary employment in public works in community service have a positive impact. Despite their overall positive impact on unemployment rate, their budgetary cost is high and they are likely to be subject to diminishing returns as employment rates rise.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10397.
Date of creation: 11 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Public Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lalive, Rafael & van Ours, Jan C & Zweimüller, Josef, 2000. "The Impact Of Active Labour Market Policies And Benefit Entitlement Rules On The Duration Of Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2451, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Linden, Johan, 1993.
"Job matching, temporary public employment, and equilibrium unemployment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 329-343, July.
- Holmlund, B. & Linden, J., 1991. "Job Matching, Temporary Public Employment, and Equilibrium Unemployment," Papers 1991l, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Lars Calmfors & Anders Forslund & Maria Hemström, 2002.
"Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
675, CESifo Group Munich.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002. "Does active labour market policy work? Lessons from the Swedish experiences," Working Paper Series 2002:4, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences," Seminar Papers 700, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Lalive, Rafael & van Ours, Jan C. & Zweimüller, Josef, 2000.
"The Impact of Active Labor Market Programs and Benefit Entitlement Rules on the Duration of Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
149, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lalive, R. & Ours, J.C. van & Zweimüller, J., 2000. "The Impact of Active Labor Market Programs and Benefit Entitlement Rules on the Duration of Unemployment," Discussion Paper 2000-41, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer, 2004.
"Estimating the Threat Effect of Active Labour Market Programmes,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-6, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2004. "Estimating the Threat Effect of Active Labour Market Programmes," IZA Discussion Papers 1300, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer, 2004. "Estimating the Threat Effect of Active Labour Market Programmes," CAM Working Papers 2004-14, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Boeri, Tito, 1997. "Labour-Market Reforms in Transition Economies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 126-40, Summer.
- Jochen Kluve & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2002. "Can training and employment subsidies combat European unemployment?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 409-448, October.
- Tito Boeri, 1994. ""Transitional" unemployment," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, 03.
- Eleni VANGJELI & Sonela STILLO & Marinela TENEQEXHI, 2012. "Impact of Active Labor Market Programs on Employment: Albania’s Case," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 2(1), pages 16, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.