Efficiency of Large Scale Manufacturing in Pakistan: A Production Frontier Approach
AbstractThis paper examines the efficiency of the large scale manufacturing sector of Pakistan using the stochastic production frontier approach. A stochastic production frontier is estimated for two periods—1995-96 and 2000-01—for 101 industries at the 5-digit PSIC. The results show that there has been some improvement in the efficiency of the large scale manufacturing sector, though the magnitude of improvement remains small. The results are mixed at the disaggregated level: whereas a majority of industrial groups have gained in terms of technical efficiency, some industries have shown deterioration in their efficiency levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its series PIDE-Working Papers with number 2007:27.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Manufacturing Industries; Technical Efficiency; Stochastic Frontier Analysis; Data Envelopment Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Tariq Mahmood & Ejaz Ghani & Musleh-Ud Din, 2006. "Efficiency of Large-scale Manufacturing in Pakistan: A Production Frontier Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 45(4), pages 689-700.
- Tariq Mahmood & Ejaz Ghani & Musleh-ud Din, 2007. "Efficiency of Large Scale Manufacturing in Pakistan : A Production Frontier Approach," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22210, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- P27 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Performance and Prospects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Burki, Abid A. & Khan, Mahmood-ul-Hasan, 2004. "Effects of allocative inefficiency on resource allocation and energy substitution in Pakistan's manufacturing," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 371-388, May.
- ALVARO ANGERIZ & JOHN McCOMBIE & MARK ROBERTS, 2006. "Productivity, Efficiency And Technological Change In European Union Regional Manufacturing: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 500-525, 07.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Alvarez, Roberto & Crespi, Gustavo, 2003. " Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Small Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 233-44, May.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Jajri, Idris & Ismail, Rahmah, 2006. "Technical efficiency, technological change and total factor productivity growth in Malaysian manufacturing sector," MPRA Paper 1956, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.