Productivity, Efficiency And Technological Change In European Union Regional Manufacturing: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach
AbstractUsing data envelopment analysis, we calculate indices of total factor productivity (TFP), efficiency and technological change for the manufacturing sectors of 68 European NUTS1 regions over the period 1986-2002. We subsequently examine these indices using exploratory spatial data analysis (ESDA) techniques, before considering tendencies towards convergence in both TFP and technical efficiency levels. While the ESDA reveals significant spatial autocorrelation, the convergence analysis uncovers no tendency for regions with initially lower TFP to catch up with regions with initially higher TFP. However, convergence is found in levels of technical efficiency, although towards a relatively lower average level. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd and The University of Manchester 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Manchester in its journal Manchester School.
Volume (Year): 74 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1463-6786
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ertugrul Deliktas, 2013. "The Analysis of Technical Efficiency and Productivity Growth In The Former Soviet Union Countries For Two Periods," Working Papers, Ege University, Department of Economics 1304, Ege University, Department of Economics.
- Mari Maté-Sánchez-Val & Antonia Madrid-Guijarro, 2011. "A spatial efficiency index proposal: an empirical application to SMEs productivity," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 353-371, October.
- Tariq Mahmood & Ejaz Ghani & Musleh-ud Din, 2007.
"Efficiency of Large Scale Manufacturing in Pakistan : A Production Frontier Approach,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22210, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tariq Mahmood & Ejaz Ghani & Musleh-Ud Din, 2006. "Efficiency of Large-scale Manufacturing in Pakistan: A Production Frontier Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 45(4), pages 689-700.
- Tariq Mahmood & Ejaz Ghani & Musleh-ud Din, 2007. "Efficiency of Large Scale Manufacturing in Pakistan: A Production Frontier Approach," PIDE-Working Papers, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics 2007:27, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Daniel Dujava, 2012. "Causes of Lagging Behind of New Member States of EU: Empirical Analysis by Montgomery Decomposition," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 222-244.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.