Implied Volatilities of Caps: a Gaussian approach
AbstractImplied volatilities of interest rate derivatives present some distinctive features, like the inverse relation with the underlying rates and the humped or decreasing shape of their term structure. The objective of this paper is to analyze and explain such features in a Gaussian framework. We will use an approximate relation which separates in a simple and natural way the effects on the implied volatility of the level and of the uncertainty of the interest rates. This is a useful tool for understanding the features of different models and to interpret some characteristics of the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica in its series Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica with number 09/2005.
Date of creation: 31 May 2005
Date of revision:
Implied volatility; forward rates; HJM models; calibration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Francesco Venturini, 2011. "Product variety, product quality, and evidence of Schumpeterian endogenous growth: a note," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 93/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Mirella Damiani, 2010. "Labour regulation, corporate governance and varieties of capitalism," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 76/2010, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Mirella Damiani & Fabrizio Pompei & Andrea Ricci, 2011.
"Temporary job protection and productivity growth in EU economies,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
87/2011, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Damiani, Mirella & Pompei, Fabrizio & Ricci, Andrea, 2011. "Temporary job protection and productivity growth in EU economies," MPRA Paper 29698, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Flavio Angelini & Stefano Herzel, 2006. "Notes and Comments: An approximation of caplet implied volatilities in Gaussian models," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 113-127, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ubaldo Pizzoli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.