Technological Upgradation in the Jute Mills of Bangladesh: Challenges and Way Out
AbstractIn view of the recent rise of global demand for jute goods and consequent revitalisation of jute manufacturing sector in Bangladesh, the paper has examined the market potentials of jute goods at local and international level, and has revealed that there is scope for creating a huge local demand for raw jute which will contribute to increased production. Based on the findings from a sample-based survey, the paper put forward necessary suggestions required to modernise the machineries, improve the production process, and develop the human resources in the jute manufacturing sector to enhance the sector’s capacity and competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) in its series CPD Working Paper with number 100.
Length: 59 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Jute manufacturing sector; Mandatory Use of Jute for Packaging Products Act 2010;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Khondaker Golam Moazzem & Md Tariqur Rahman & Abdus Sobhan, 2009.
"Jute Manufacturing Sector of Bangladesh Challenges, Opportunities and Policy Options,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22294, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Khondaker Golam Moazzem & Md Tariqur Rahman & Md Abdus Sobhan, 2009. "Jute Manufacturing Sector of Bangladesh: Challenges, Opportunities and Policy Options," CPD Working Paper 78, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
- Mustafizur Rahman & Nafisa Khaled, 2011. "Global Market Opportunities in Export of Jute," CPD Working Paper 93, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Avra Bhattacharjee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.