On the stick–breaking representation of normalized inverse Gaussian priors
AbstractRandom probability measures are the main tool for Bayesian nonparametric inference, with their laws acting as prior distributions. Many well–known priors used in practice admit different, though (in distribution) equivalent, representations. Some of these are convenient if one wishes to thoroughly analyze the theoretical properties of the priors being used, others are more useful for modeling dependence and for addressing computational issues. As for the latter purpose, so–called stick–breaking constructions certainly stand out. In this paper we focus on the recently introduced normalized inverse Gaussian process and provide a completely explicit stick–breaking representation for it. Such a new result is of interest both from a theoretical viewpoint and for statistical practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management in its series DEM Working Papers Series with number 008.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Bayesian Nonparametrics; Dirichlet process; Normalized Inverse Gaussian process; Random Probability Measures; Stick–breaking representation.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Iorio, Maria & Muller, Peter & Rosner, Gary L. & MacEachern, Steven N., 2004. "An ANOVA Model for Dependent Random Measures," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 205-215, January.
- Dunson, David B. & Xue, Ya & Carin, Lawrence, 2008. "The Matrix Stick-Breaking Process: Flexible Bayes Meta-Analysis," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 317-327, March.
- C. Yau & O. Papaspiliopoulos & G. O. Roberts & C. Holmes, 2011. "Bayesian non‐parametric hidden Markov models with applications in genomics," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 73(1), pages 37-57, January.
- Omiros Papaspiliopoulos & Gareth O. Roberts, 2008. "Retrospective Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for Dirichlet process hierarchical models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(1), pages 169-186.
- Griffin, J.E. & Steel, M.F.J., 2006. "Order-Based Dependent Dirichlet Processes," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 179-194, March.
- Antonio Lijoi & Ramsés H. Mena & Igor Prünster, 2007. "Bayesian Nonparametric Estimation of the Probability of Discovering New Species," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(4), pages 769-786.
- Lancelot F. James & Antonio Lijoi & Igor Prünster, 2006. "Conjugacy as a Distinctive Feature of the Dirichlet Process," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(1), pages 105-120.
- Lancelot F. James & Antonio Lijoi & Igor Prünster, 2009. "Posterior Analysis for Normalized Random Measures with Independent Increments," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(1), pages 76-97.
- Sonia Petrone & Michele Guindani & Alan E. Gelfand, 2009. "Hybrid Dirichlet mixture models for functional data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(4), pages 755-782.
- Griffin, J.E. & Steel, M.F.J., 2011. "Stick-breaking autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 383-396, June.
- David B. Dunson & Ju-Hyun Park, 2008. "Kernel stick-breaking processes," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(2), pages 307-323.
- Jason A. Duan & Michele Guindani & Alan E. Gelfand, 2007. "Generalized Spatial Dirichlet Process Models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(4), pages 809-825.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.