Is the ‘European Model’ viable in a globalized world?
AbstractThe issue of whether the ‘European model’ is viable in a globalized world raises the question as to what defines and conditions any European model and its competitiveness in the context of globalization and the new economy. For the sake of sustainability of its model but also to sustain support for globalization the European Union (EU) needs to take economic advantage of globalization and the knowledge-based economy. Challenges in a high-cost, high-productivity economy mean that there is a premium on dynamic efficiency gains from the liberalization and reform of markets and an economic and institutional framework that fosters innovation and flexible adjustment. The paper examines how the EU deals with governance issues and political economy factors from this perspective. The EU model, if able to legitimize itself with respect to the European integration process may as well contribute to a legitimate political governance of globalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NIPE - Universidade do Minho in its series NIPE Working Papers with number 20/2007.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Annette Bongardt & Francisco Torres, 2007. "Is the “European Model” viable in a globalized world?," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 46, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F50 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annette Bongardt & Francisco Torres, 2007.
"Institutions, Governance and Economic Growth in the EU: is there a role for the Lisbon Strategy?,"
Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers)
45, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Annette Bongardt* & Francisco Torres**, 2007. "Institutions, Governance and Economic Growth in the EU: Is There a Role for the Lisbon Strategy?," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 32-42, January.
- Francisco Torres & Annette Bongardt, 2007. "Institutions, Governance and Economic Growth in the EU: is there a role for the Lisbon Strategy," NIPE Working Papers 19/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Jeffry Frieden, 2006. "Will global capitalism fall again?," Essays and Lectures 16, Bruegel.
- Philippe Aghion, 2006. "A primer on innovation and growth," Policy Briefs 233, Bruegel.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003.
"Macroeconomic Effects Of Regulation And Deregulation In Goods And Labor Markets,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907, August.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, . "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Annette Bongardt, 2005. "Competition Policy and EU Governance," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 28, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Juan Delgado, 2006. "Single market trails home bias," Policy Briefs 38, Bruegel.
- André Sapir & Alan Ahearne & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Nicolas Véron, 2006.
"Global governance: an agenda for Europe,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8104, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
10310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria João Thompson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.