PACE Survey: Background, Applications, and Data Quality Issues
AbstractThe only comprehensive source of the actual costs of environmental abatement activities in the United States has been the Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures (PACE) survey. This survey collects facility-level data on capital and operating costs of pollution abatement, focusing on facilities in the manufacturing, mining, and electric utility industries. The cost information reflects most environmentally related expenditures, including compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, and voluntary or market-driven pollution abatement activities. Between 1973 and 1994 (but excluding 1987), the Bureau of Census conducted the PACE survey annually. After a 5-year lapse, it was reinstated in 2000, following a redesign, and collected data on 1999 expenditures. Subsequent to the 1999 PACE survey, no further surveys have been conducted. This report discusses the PACE survey and issues surrounding it, and offers suggestions for how to address some of these issues. This report is part of a larger project under contract with US EPA to redesign the PACE Survey with the goal of developing a survey that will be implemented on an annual basis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in its series NCEE Working Paper Series with number 200409.
Length: 85 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2004
Date of revision: Jul 2004
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20460
Web page: http://yosemite.epa.gov/ee/epa/eed.nsf/webpages/homepage
More information through EDIRC
pollution abatement; survey design; costs; expenditures;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald J Shadbegian & Wayne B Gray, 2001.
"When Do Firms Shift Production Across States to Avoid Environmental Regulation?,"
01-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Ronald J. Shadbegian & Wayne B. Gray, 2002. "When Do Firms Shift Production Across State to Avoid Environmental Regulation?," NCEE Working Paper Series 200202, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Feb 2002.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2002. "When Do Firms Shift Production Across States to Avoid Environmental Regulation?," NBER Working Papers 8705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, V Kerry & Walsh, Randy, 2000. " Do Painless Environmental Policies Exist?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 73-94, July.
- Ronald Shadbegian & Randy Becker, 2004.
"A Change of PACE: Comparing the 1994 and 1999 Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures Surveys,"
04-09, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Randy A. Becker & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2004. "A Change of PACE: Comparing the 1994 and 1999 Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures Surveys," NCEE Working Paper Series 200408, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Jul 2004.
- Nestor, Deborah Vaughn & Pasurka, Carl A, Jr, 1995. "Environment-Economic Accounting and Indicators of the Economic Importance of Environmental Protection Activities," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(3), pages 265-87, September.
- Josh Ederington & Arik Levinson & Jenny Minier, 2003.
"Footloose and Pollution-Free,"
NBER Working Papers
9718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randy A Becker & Vernon Henderson, 1999.
"Costs of Air Quality Regulation,"
99-9, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wolfgang Keller & Arik Levinson, 2002. "Pollution Abatement Costs and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to U.S. States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 691-703, November.
- Michael Gallaher & Cynthia Morgan & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2008. "Redesign of the 2005 Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditure Survey," NCEE Working Paper Series 200801, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Jan 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cynthia Morgan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.