Price Indexes for Microsoft's Personal Computer Software Products
AbstractUsing a unique and comprehensive data source, we measure price changes for Microsoft's desktop personal computer software products during the time period July 1993 through June 2001. This paper contributes to a relatively small literature on price measurement of pre-packaged software by incorporating important channels of distribution, such as volume licensing and Original Equipment Manufacturer, as well as changes in product form, such as upgrades and integrated productivity suites, into matched-model price indexes. Although there are differences over time periods and across products, we find that the prices of Microsoft's desktop operating systems and applications have generally been falling over this time period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 9966.
Date of creation: Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Jaison R. Abel, Ernst R. Berndt, Alan G. White. "Price Indexes for Microsoft," in Ernst R. Berndt and Charles R. Hulten, editors, "Hard-to-Measure Goods and Services: Essays in Honor of Zvi Griliches" University of Chicago Press (2007)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2003-09-14 (Innovation)
- NEP-NET-2003-09-14 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst R. Berndt & Robert S. Pindyck & Pierre Azoulay, 2003.
"Consumption Externalities and Diffusion in Pharmaceutical Markets: Antiulcer Drugs,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 243-270, 06.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Robert S. Pindyck & Pierre Azoulay, 2000. "Consumption Externalities and Diffusion in Pharmaceutical Markets: Antiulcer Drugs," NBER Working Papers 7772, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Chris F. Kemerer, 1993.
"Network Externalities in Microcomputer Software: An Econometric Analysis of the Spreadsheet Market,"
Working Paper Series
158, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Chris F. Kemerer, 1996. "Network Externalities in Microcomputer Software: An Econometric Analysis of the Spreadsheet Market," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(12), pages 1627-1647, December.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Susan Busch & Richard Frank, 2001. "Treatment Price Indexes for Acute Phase Major Depression," NBER Chapters, in: Medical Care Output and Productivity, pages 463-508 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan G. WHITE & Jaison R. ABEL & Ernst R. BERNDT & Cory W. MONROE, 2005.
"Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Productivity Suites,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 79-80, pages 787-807.
- Alan G. White & Jaison R. Abel & Ernst R. Berndt & Cory W. Monroe, 2010. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Produtivity Suites," NBER Chapters, in: Contributions in Memory of Zvi Griliches, pages 787-807 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan G. White & Jaison R. Abel & Ernst R. Berndt & Cory W. Monroe, 2004. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Productivity Suites," NBER Working Papers 10427, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana Aizcorbe, 2005. "Price Deflators for High Technology Goods and the New Buyer Problem," Industrial Organization 0502009, EconWPA.
- Mark C. Doms, 2004. "The boom and bust in information technology investment," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 19-34.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2006.
"The Boskin Commission Report: A Retrospective One Decade Later,"
NBER Working Papers
12311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2006. "The Boskin Commission Report: A Retrospective One Decade Later," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 12, pages 7-22, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.