Measuring Market-Product Integration
AbstractGlobalization -- the integration of national economies -- has become one of the most widely used buzzwords of the late 20th century. Yet there are remarkably few statistical measures of product-market integration across time, countries, and goods. In this paper we present some new measures of product-market integration based on price and quantity data. We find evidence of greater integration, but we also find that this process has not been uniform over time, countries, or goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 6969.
Date of creation: Feb 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Festschrift in Honor of Bob Lipsey, NBER Conference Volume, Blomstrom, Magnus and Linda Goldberg, eds., 2000, forthcoming.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-03-01 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irwin, Douglas A, 1996. "The United States in a New Global Economy? A Century's Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 41-46, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1963. "Price and Quantity Trends in the Foreign Trade of the United States," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lips63-1, octubre-d.
- Kravis, Irving B & Lipsey, Robert E, 1977. "Export Prices and the Transmission of Inflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(1), pages 155-63, February.
- Paul Krugman, 1995. "Growing World Trade: Causes and Consequences," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 327-377.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Imperfect competition and international trade: Evidence from fourteen industrial countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Arribas Fernández Iván & Pérez García Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina Emili, 2007.
"Measuring International Economic Integration: Theory and Evidence of Globalization,"
201094, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Arribas, Iván & Pérez, Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2006. "Measuring International Economic Integration: Theory and Evidence of Globalization," MPRA Paper 16010, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Arribas, Iván & Pérez, Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2009. "Measuring Globalization of International Trade: Theory and Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 127-145, January.
- Desbordes, Rodolphe, 2007. "The sensitivity of U.S. multinational enterprises to political and macroeconomic uncertainty: A sectoral analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 732-750, December.
- Arvind Virmani & Surabhi Mittal, 2006. "Domestic Market Integration," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22271, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Arvind Virmani & Surabhi Mittal, 2006. "Domestic Market Integration," Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi Working Papers 183, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India.
- Isabelle Méjean & Julien Martin, 2010. "Euro et dispersion des prix à l’exportation," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 435(1), pages 49-64.
- Federico, Giovanni, 2007. "Market integration and market efficiency: The case of 19th century Italy," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 293-316, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.