Domestic Market Integration
AbstractThe paper looks into the level of integration of commodity markets in India, across centres and states using consumer price data. It measures the extent to which domestic markets for goods in India are integrated, and recommends policy options to facilitate integration. The paper addresses questions : Are domestic markets for goods integrated across states? Has market integration increased over time? What are the policy options to facilitate integration? The paper tests the methodology proposed by Bradford and Lawrence (2004) on the consumer prices of goods in major states across India. This is then repeated using consumer price data at two points in time (1994 and 2004), allowing an assessment of whether Indian markets have integrated over time. Market integration is also tested for individual commodities across markets. The annual consumer prices for commodities were compiled from the Labour Bureau series of average monthly consumer prices of commodities for Industrial workers across 70 constituent centres in 18 states and monthly data was compiled from the Indian Labour Journal, a monthly publication from Labour Bureau, Ministry of Labour Government of India. Authors are thankful to Labour Bureau, Shimla for providing data on consumer prices at the disaggregated level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Macroeconomics Working Papers with number 22271.
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Market Integration; Consumer Prices; Primary Food; Manufactured Goods; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael M. Knetter & Matthew J. Slaughter, 1999. "Measuring Market-Product Integration," NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 6969, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Transfer Costs, Spatial Arbitrage, and Testing for Food Market Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 477-487.
- Meyer, Jochen, 2003.
"Measuring Market Integration In The Presence Of Transaction Costs - A Threshold Vector Error Correction Approach,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa, International Association of Agricultural Economists
25869, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Meyer, Jochen, 2004. "Measuring market integration in the presence of transaction costs--a threshold vector error correction approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 327-334, December.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Scott Bradford & Robert Z. Lawrence, 2004. "Has Globalization Gone Far Enough: The Costs of Fragmented Markets," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 349, July.
- Sanogo, Issa & Maliki Amadou, Mahamane, 2010. "Rice market integration and food security in Nepal: The role of cross-border trade with India," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 312-322, August.
- Surabhi Mittal, 2007.
"Can Horticulture be a Success Story for India?,"
Working Papers, eSocialSciences
- Surabhi Mittal, 2007. "Can Horticulture be a Success Story For India?," Macroeconomics Working Papers, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research 22226, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jha, A.K. & Singh, K.M. & Singh, R.K.P., 2013. "Wholesale Milk Markets: A Study of Market Integration in Indian Markets," MPRA Paper, University Library of Munich, Germany 47721, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Jun 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.